Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by greif, Sep 23, 2008.

1. greif

greif New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI

should I be getting the goats vacinated for anything?
  2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    How old are they? Did they receive vaccines before you got them? Have they been tested?

3. greif

greif New Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    1.5 years old, do not know what they had before
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would definately blood test for CAE and CL and Johnes if you would like. I would then vaccinate for CD&T. Repeat vaccine in 4 weeks, and then yearly. You can purchase the vaccine at any farm store.

Some vaccinate for pnemonia also - but I am not sure how that goes, so I will let someone else comment on that!
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    testing for CAE and CL is personal preference (all due respect to Allison, I know where she is coming from) I have chosen not to at this point, but that may change.

As to vaccinations, I vaccinate with the CD/T which is for enterotoxemia and tetanous.
  6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Hehe Stacey - yes that is a soap box of mine - blood testing - however, with not having any history behind these goaties - I would be even more inclined to test. Also, I have seen goats that were beautiful - looked healthy (like over healthy) and I was going to take 7 of them. I blood tested because of my little soap box, and 1/2 the herd came back CAE positive. It just really helps to know what the health of your herd is and what percautions if any you need to be aware of with breeding. That's all.
  7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I am with Stacey and no testing at this point. I know the background on all my goats. I vaccinate against CD-T, Pneumonia, and CL. Again the CL vaccine is a personal choice, it is made for sheep so goat producers/breeders are a bit leery of it.

All of my vaccines are made by Colorado Serum since I had lumps from bar vac, another personal preference. Hope this helps.
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am with Stacey and Alyssa. I have only done CL, CAE and Jones once because I had to have that in order to take my does to a place to be bred. I totally understood the reason behind the request. I mean after all the three does were bred for free.

They are 1-1/2 years old. Do you know who they cam from? Are you planning on breeding them, or are they wethers?

If you plan on breeding I personally would wait until you have to give them before the babies are born, but if you are not going to bred them, then yep they need CDT. 2cc, sub Q then a booster in 4 weeks.
  9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Same here with the bumps from BarVac! I hate the stuff. Every single one of my goats got big bumps from it. Last year when I used colorado serum I got 1 bump.

Which pneumonia vaccine do you use? Does it help?
  10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
  11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i only vaccinate with bar vac cd/t , never had any bumps, but then i've only vaccinated 10-12 goats, some of you have more.
  12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ditto what Alaskaboers about the Bar Vac cdt. I have a few lumps, but generally if I rub the injection site briskly before & after it seems to minimize the lump if any. And it goes away eventually.

This was the first yr we had CL & CAE testing. Before I had only used bucks from my breeder and have never brought other goats in.
    This year we are using a different buck who's owners test so as a pre-caution we had ours tested.

As far as Johnes (Sp? but you say it YAW knees) it is my understanding that it is mainly a bovine thing so I passed on that one.
  13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think I might try the Colorado Serum vaccine because we've always gotten lumps w/ Bar-Vac, hate that!
  14. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I've had numerous lumps from both the Bar-Vac and the Covexin 8. I think my goats have actually started getting the lumps just at the sight of me walking into the barn with needles. LOL. I may try the Colorado Serum vaccine this year.

I've also started vaccinating with Lysigin for mastitis.

When I vaccinate I also give Bo-Se and copper. If I were just bringing in new goats, I would probably do the whole thing....CD/T, Bo-Se, Copper (depending on where you live and the condition of the goats, of course - ask your vet or area breeders) and wormer all at once. They may hate you for a minute but they'll get over it pretty fast with lots of treats and you'll have a good record to go on from now on of what they've already had and what should be due.

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I don't vaccinate, I have found the goats who weren't vaccinated are healthier then the ones how have been vaccinated. Atleast in my own herd. I do blood test, and plan on doing that annually..
  16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I currently don't test my herd....Maybe one day but right now I've not had any "odd" symptoms in 8 years.

I do vaccinate with BarVac CD/T each doe gets her yearly shot a month before delivery and the bucks get theirs around the same time...I do get small bump but have only had 2 goats get an abcess from it. If you aren't sure wether or not your goats have had this vaccine, and you want to vaccinate the order is usually as follows:
    2mL sub q and repeat in 21 days then 1 time each year after. I usually get my goats in the skin over the shoulder, seems easier to tent it there, just be careful not to poke the needle through the other side of the pulled up skin, can be tricky to do with a goat that moves around alot.
  17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I found the best way is to put the goat in a milk stand or pen thier heads inbetween your legs with their head facing what your butt is pointed at. Then bend over the top of them and give the vaccines. Sometimes I will even lean up against a wall when I am doing it so that they can not push me over trying to get away. I do hooves sometimes this way also (did 7 goats' hooves and vaccines, and BoSe injections for the girls today this way!)

Now I just need to do the other 15 goats - LOL!

I give my vaccines in the skin down by where their front leg meets their chest in the "brisket" area, so if their is a lump I know exactly what caused it and also if I want to show it would be hidden.

Also, when you put the syringe in the skin, pull back on the plunger before injecting. If you get air in the syringe, you went through the other side. If you pull back the plunger and release it and it goes back to where it started - you are good to go!
  18. butterscotchfarm

butterscotchfarm New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I vaccinate for CDT and Pneumonia. I used the pneumonia vaccine after goats having a few cases of it, and they haven't gotten it since.
  19. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I do yearly testing of CAE and CL... with sporadic Johnes testing. (All neg. to date! :leap: ) I only vaccinate CD &T to new kids... I don't ever keep up with the yearly boosters. I am going to be vaccinating for pneumonia though starting this year, we have started attending a lot of shows and EVERY TIME we have gone to one I've come home with coughing goats! <sigh> I'm hoping that the pneumonia vaccine will help that so we don't have to give up on showing. :- )

Faint-Hearted Ranch