The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need help. Our 5 yr old goat (unknown breed, probably a mix, she was a surrender) we got when she was 2 has for the last year and a half struggled with huuuuge swelling in the udders on and off. They're basically touching the ground. Several vets have looked at her and given her injections to little to no avail. The first time it worked a little, the 2 others barely did at all. However, last week we suddenly discovered she had thick vaginal bleeding, it hasn't been back since but we're worried. Shes fine generally but struggles to run with her udder. We don't have any bucks... has anyone experienced anything similar before? One of the other vets thinks it might be cancer in the ovaries...

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
I agree...I would start with milking some out of both sides, separately and testing for mastitis. If the milk test clean, then I wouldn't mess with her udder more as long as it doesn't fill up tight. Sometimes the body will absorb it. If she test positive and or you find the milk bloody, with pus, chunky, she will need treatment. Either way I would order MastoBlast. It's a homeopathic treatment for mastitis but I also use when congestion or any concerns with the udder. Its an oral 10 day treatment.
Next I would order or make an udder sling/bra for her to keep her from swinging or catching her self in things. She not only has poor attachment but looks like a blown teat.
Get her temp and check her famacha.
As for the bleeding, as mentioned she could have a uti..or perhaps passed a stone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree...I would start with milking some out of both sides, separately and testing for mastitis. If the milk test clean, then I wouldn't mess with her udder more as long as it doesn't fill up might. Sometimes the body will absorb it. If she test positive and or you find the milk bloody, with pus, chunky, she will need treatment. Either way I would order MastoBlast. It's a homeopathic treatment for mastitis but I also use when congestion or any concerns with the udder. Its an oral 10 day treatment.
Next I would order or make an udder sling/bra for her to keep her from swinging or catching her self in things. She not only has poor attachment but looks like a blown teat.
Get her temp and check her famacha.
As for the bleeding, as mentioned she could have a uti..or perhaps passed a stone
Thank you so much for this detailed and helpful advice! I am going back out to look at her tomorrow with one of my colleagues who is a vet, we will try to get out a sample, though last time nothing really came out of her. We'll try again! Thank you again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried milking her out? I'm surprised none of the vets tested for mastitis. She may also have a uterine infection.
Yes we have tried, nothing came of it :( And I did suggest mastitis to the vets, but yeah. I think they're more worried about the bleeding now though, as it seemed to come out of the actual vagina :( We'll see tomorrow, we're going back at it then!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not being able to get milk out is not a good sign. If you could find someone who really knows how to milk and get them to milk her out. The udder really does need some serious attention.
We've never seen milk out of her before and she has never had kids. Would be strange if she had a lot now for a whole year +, and if she does, something else has caused it considering she has been treated with estrumat 3 times and only one time worked :/ We'll see what the new vet says today and what tests we can run

·
Super Moderator
59,326 Posts
There is precocious udder. But no matter what, a dry udder should never look like that. That udder is full of something and it isn't good. Even a "meaty" udder that doesn't go completely flat when not in milk isn't even close to looking like that.

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Let us know what the vet finds.

Best wishes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O
Let us know what the vet finds.

Best wishes
Ok, so my colleague came out today and we managed to "unplug" her fianlly with her help! And clear liquid came out. She's gonna be "milked" out now as much as possible and we've got mastipen. There is something bigger that is causing this, she thinks she has ovarian cysts and we can fix it by getting her spayed, which we 100% will do if that's what it takes to save our girl!

·
Registered
31,071 Posts
Cystic ovaries certainly can cause hormone issue. Often they act like bucks..Are too fat and have crazy heat cycles. There are hormone treatments that can help that might be better to try first. Some times the issue is genetic, a heavy milking line some times can push a Doe to make milk.
With her fluid being clear doing a round if mastitis treatment is wise. A friend had a doe who would get milk..never bred, none of the tricks of the trade worked, so she kept her milked and made ice cream lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cystic ovaries certainly can cause hormone issue. Often they act like bucks..Are too fat and have crazy heat cycles. There are hormone treatments that can help that might be better to try first. Some times the issue is genetic, a heavy milking line some times can push a Doe to make milk.
With her fluid being clear doing a round if mastitis treatment is wise. A friend had a doe who would get milk..never bred, none of the tricks of the trade worked, so she kept her milked and made ice cream lol.
LOL smart! Thank you for the suggestions, I'll let the vet know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts