The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:whatgoat:We had a Boer have a miscarriage yesterday. Very sad, I know. Today we went and bought CL-200 because another friend said they might have gotten Chlamydia from the buck we borrowed from someone. We treated all of our goats, even the one that weren't exposed to the buck. 3 hours after the shot, one of our does started to have white stringy discharge from her vagina. Hopefully she doesn't abort too, but does anyone have any ideas what it might be. All of our does are about 2 1/2 months pregnant( hopefully). trying to save our babies so we can have little ones for the local 4-h kids for fair.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It might be aborting really nothing you can do but if your friend is right on what's going on that streaming is normal for Chlamydia from what I have read.....and I have read till I was blue in the face on this. The bad thing is is that streaming will spread it......now you might have a different issue on your hands though. Chlamydia usually only makes them abort about a month before they are due. I thought I might have this....well I still might I don't know for sure.....but then I had 1 abort about a month along. Did some digging and being the first few months points to lack of good feed or something bad in the feed. After more digging found urea was the issue. I would still treat as Chlamydia but would check feed for mold or anything off as well as anything toxic they could have got their hands on. Also think of any meds or wormers you have gave while being bred.

·
14,615 Posts
There is no mistaking an abortion, she will have bloody discharge.
Hope she gets better for you & sorry about your loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we are hoping that it is not chlamydia but we are not sure. We vaccinated them all just in case. We didn't have any health issues with our does until we borrowed this buck so we think that is how they got it. I know that it is spread if they ingest the placenta of the aborted Fergus but is it possible for them to get it from being bred with that buck? I sure hope not we will be very unhappy campers if that is the case. Thank you for your information we are new with the goats and are trying to understand everything. Do you think all of them are coming to abort because they were penned together? The one with the vaginal discharge had been deprecated and the one who aborted is too. I really hope we don't lose them all. :(

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Yes they can get it from the by k....its a std. It could have also come from a doe of yours as well. Just because they have it does not mean they will all abort and abort for ever. Its believed once they abort they never will again. You can also put them on CDC a medicated feed. Usually the last month of being bred but I would do it now. They also have a in the water type at tractor supply. It comes in a small pouch and is yellow.....can't think of the name. And a FYI I have read many many sites that say the vac. Is crap for goats.....does nothing for them

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm thats what I thought we have never had any issues with out does being sick before the buck came along. I will have to look into that medicated feed. I really hopebthey don't abort again. From what I read it sounds like them aborting might be better that way we don't have stillborns or mummified babies. But who knows maybe we are just over reacting but idk. Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Never hurts to be on the safe side. Like I said I don't even know if I have it and they still get the medicated feed. On your free time I would just do web searches on it. You will also want to burn all after birth...again to be on the safe side. If you wanted to actually I think you can send in the after birth in to be tested......you might want to look into that. But look on the bright side there is way worse std out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah we are deffinantly trying to do anything we can to take care of this issue. We changed their hay because we knew it wasn't the best hay because it was left out for a little while and we had to throw out some bad bales and try to save the better ones. They are loving the new hay. If that is all it was I will be very happy. And very true there are many much worse diseases it could have been.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
goat update

The goat who miscarried has no fresh blood on her (last night we noticed some fresh blood) and the one with the sticky vaginal discharge is showing no signs of discharge. The rest of the goats look good. Hopefully we over reacted and they will be fine :cool:

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
You may see more cleanup discharge from the doe that miscarried. They can have discharge for a good couple of weeks.

Hopefully everyone else is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts