The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i deworm my goats once a month, and once a bottle of dewormer is gone i start a new brand i am almost out of safeguard so which one do u think i should get? Valbazen or ivermectin and i would rather have a oral dewormer than injectable but thats not really a huge requirement.
Thanks,
nigerian dwarf goat!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You don’t want to work once a month just as needed. Every time you worm you are building up a small resistance to the wormer you are using. So if your giving it when they don’t need it your building a resistances for nothing.
You also want to kinda stick to one wormer, depending on what worms your having issues with, as long as you can. If you use one then another then another then your building a resistance to all of them. If you just use one till it doesn’t work then go down threw the line hopefully you can circle back around.
Now different wormers for different worms. Safe guard is really only good for tape worms. So you have been treating tape worms. I believe the only thing valbazen is good for is liver fluke but I don’t have liver flukes and I don’t use it so can’t say for sure. Really what you should be doing is getting a fecal on goats you think need to be wormed and then use the wormer for what they have a heavy load.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I use Valbazon only if I see a sign of tape worms and it has always worked for me so far. I have also only seen tape signs a few times in young ones. I got a microscope and learned from Fiasco.com how to do fecal test - also checked with the vet on my first results and I was close to his findings. Since doing this I have found that I don't worm often at all and only if the test shows it is needed. I had been told that you should worm after kidding and my tests showed only two needed it out of 10 birthings. I use ivermetin orally. I do worm my babies after weaning and I never do the 10 day after reworming some people recommend. My vet told me not to quite a few years ago. I also don't do fecal tests unless I see some sign of a problem. (The coat condition, weight, and their personality ) My goats get a lot of natural browse and alfalfa and we really keep an eye on them for copper. I think that probably is a big help to our herd health. Hopefully it stays that way.
-

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
8,113 Posts
That is what is so great about this site, it helps everyone learn! I'm sure your goats will be fine. Almost everyone used to worm like you did. We all had to learn! And goats are a continual learning adventure!

·
Super Moderator
82,617 Posts
oh, ok ill stop deworming reguarly, but none of my goats are anemic so i thought it was ok.sorry
No reason to be sorry, you didn't know. Glad you mentioned it.

If they are not anemic that is really good.
Just watch their coloring, if they go to borderline famancha, (worm them).
Or you can get a fecal from time to time for worms and cocci. Just to make sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts