Value of a diary goat

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kritterkeeper, Jul 16, 2008.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Hello My daughter is in a 4H goat club and is doing a record book on her dairy goat Aja. We would like to know the value of her goat.. if anyone has a idea please help

She was born 3-25-06
    breed: 50% Nubian, 25% Alpine, 25% Saanan
    She looks Alpine

She had first kid (doe) on March 5,2008

on avarage she gives 2 quarts of milk a day

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is she milked 2x a day? I wouldn't know her value but 2 quarts doesn't seem like a whole lot with a standard dairy breed, my nigi does were giving me that when I milk 2x a day.....your doe may produce more with each freshening but being a FF this may be normal :shrug:

3. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    yes she is milked twice a day and 2 qt. is for the whole day. We know that is not a lot but really for us right now it is okay we have a baby pygmy that gets 20 oz a day and one daughter who drinks it sometimes so it is really enought we even have some left that we donate to the wild life shelter...

Donna

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    The value depends on your area and what goats are going for at that time. Most unregistered dairy goats dont go for more then 150.00 and that is the high end.

are you trying to decide how much to sell her for? Not sure why else you would need to know the value.

5. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Kentucky
    Stacey: Her daughter needs the value of the goat for her record book. 4H'ers have to keep very detailed price/cost record books for their annual project.

Kritterkeeper: Alot of things would affect the value of your daughter's doe, around here at least. Since you know the exact percentage of her parents, do you by chance have Experimental or NOA papers on her? 2 qts/day for a first freshener delivering a single is not neccessarily below average. I've had Nubians that never gave me much over 2 qts a day even though they ate like dinosaurs. Has she been tested for CAE, CL or G6S? A clean doe in milk even without papers would run me around $200 here to replace plus transport costs. If she has not been tested, she's difficult to milk, or she has any obvious defects (extra teat, mastitis, etc.) then she is worth less. I don't figure my daughter's 4H costs based on what we would price a goat at - I figure it based on how much we would have to spend to replace that goat with another. I wouldn't run out to a sale barn and buy a $100 doe and bring her onto my farm. I would find a reputable breeder and bring home a clean doe in milk from a clean herd. That's not cheap even without papers.

Congrats to your daughter! Dairy goats are a fun project. :thumb:

Kristen

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats why I said it depends on your are. because here I wouldnt purchase an unregistered standard diary for over 150.00 I have a nigerian unregistered for 200.00 for sale and no one is biting and the registered are 400+ around here. I just know it is more like what are people selling my equivalent doe for what will I have to pay to replace the doe...... for me it would be 150.00 or less. Like I said it depends on your market area.

Best to talk to people who live in your area to know what she is worth.

7. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Why we are asking is for our fair the 4H kids have to fill out a record book and one of the things they have to know is the value of the animal they are showing.

She is a very good goat, from day one has never minded being milk anyone can milk her and she does not care...

We live in the middle of Michigan...

We have no papers on her but she is the sweetest goat ever my daughter can sit down and Aja will just lay down between her lets... Last year at fair the magazine Michigan Up North was taken picture and Rachel and Aja got there picture in the magazine doing just that...

Donna

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'd think she'd be worth $150-$200 dollars...

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well of course we all know she is priceless :greengrin:

10. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I wrote earlier:
    We have no papers on her but she is the sweetest goat ever my daughter can sit down and Aja will just lay down between her lets...

Where it says lays down between her lets that should say legs.....

This is cute my daughter is 16 and she is so excited this week she went to work at the Chrisitian church camp that she has went to since she was itty bitty and she got to take Aja the goat with her to show the little kids ( and so mom-me- does not have to milk) they have a barn and one sheep so she took Aja and one of the pygmys to keep her company...

priceless :sun:

11. FrenchFarm

FrenchFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Where in Mid-Michigan do you live? We're in northwest Clinton County, and don't know any other families with goats. But tonight we're going to the County 4H Fair, and we're DEFINITELY planning to visit the goats, and hopefully talk to their owners as well. We just got Isabelle and Phillisa two and a half weeks ago, and so far we're loving our new additions! By the way, we paid $300 for the two of them. They're registered purebred French Alpines. Phillisa was born February 16th and will probably be ready to be bred this fall or winter. Isabelle is fourteen months old, kidded on July 10th and is milking about 10 cups a day. I suspect we got a good deal on them, and we sure wouldn't sell them, even for $3,000. Hey, if your daughter is in Clinton County 4H, maybe we'll see you tonight. If you see a family with six children (2 girls, 4 boys, including our nine month old son whom I'll be wearing in a babysling), ask if it's us! - Stephanie