Vanity kidded

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by keren, Nov 27, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Vanity kidded this afternoon, so toth was right I got thanksgiving kids.

She had :boy: :boy: :girl: but the girl was DOA.

I posted pictures on my other thread 'Emergency goat down' because I figured most people have followed the story there.

Well toth, you got your thanksgiving kids! (even if it wasnt quite thanksgiving over there)

Shortly after I first noticed the mucus she had:

1 pretty spotted buck kid great big lump of a thing (nooooo idea where the colour came from :scratch: )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then 1 traditional buck kid even bigger

[​IMG]

1 small doe kid, who was DOA :(

So I'm kinda disappointed about the doe kid. You know how much I wanted that doe kid.

But I'm going to focus on being thankful that I have two live kids and a live mum. Couple of weeks ago I didnt think I would have any :)

So ... names anyone?

I know it doesnt start with D but I was thinking Pilgrim (cos of thanksgiving obviously) and Pride (because of her name). Anyone else got any D names?

These kids stink!

[​IMG]

MUUUUUUUUM - I want some MIIIIIIIILK! Boy these guys have got some lungs on them!

[​IMG]

You can see how much colour he has - its a bit of a shame. Couldnt get any better shots of him because he's a greedy pig and wouldnt stop drinking lol

[​IMG]

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congrats keren and Vanity...sorry about the loss of the little girl, a shame for sure. She could have been the reason for the prolapse or even just the size of those boys.

3. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats! Pilgrim and Pride sound like great names to me. Cranberry, Thankful, Miles Standish, or Turkey - all other ideas -but I like your original ones.
    Have to ask as i wasn't following your other thread the whole way - why do you have a collar around her horns?

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Congrats!!!! :wahoo: They are beautiful!! LOVE the paint buckling!!

5. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Congrats on the two cute little boys!!! Sorry about the loss of the doeling.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    .great! congrats! too bad about the doeling :( . But at least you have vanity and her two kids.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Congrats!! Cute kids :love:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry ... :( ...you lost the doeling.....oh man .....I prayed for you to get a doe ... but I didn't expect it that way.....again keren I am so sorry.. :tears: ..but you do ....have some really nice bucks there.....they do look big....I do like the names you picked for them..... :) ....How is momma doing? she looks real good......and happy....she is sure relieved of stress just as ...you are.....and we all are ...just as you said ......you were so close to losing her...that today we have to be thankful for .....what we were given...Happy Thanksgiving to you keren....from california........This is thanks giving and I am so happy you can finally get some rest....they do look strong and so does mom....so now you can ......relax a little more ..........and I bet your stress levels are alot lower now.... :hug: :hi5: congrats..... :sun: :leap: :leap:

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Ok so I updated on the other post but also will here. Thanks for moving the photos btw!

Birthweights - coloured buck 2.9kg = 6.4 lbs
    - traditional buck - 3.4kg = 7.5 lbs
    - doe - 2.7kg = 5.9 lbs

The little paint buck died during the night, when he drank he got a real bad rattle in the chest, so I think he may have had some sort of a defect which made the milk go to his lungs as well as his stomach.

Vanity is not so great this morning - retained afterbirth. Will go in to the vet to get her a shot.

Whatknott - the collar round the horns is what I use to tie her up and lead her - I put it on her the other day to go into the vet to get the prolapse fixed, and I left it on because I thought the bearing retainer would need to be replaced more often. That allowed me just to grab her and tie her up, didnt have to put it on all the time. I've had a bad experience with collars round the neck - my best doe I was milking every day because she had a large teat and only one kid - I left a collar on her so I could catch and tie her easily in the morning for milking - she hung herself by it in a tree. So with the horned goats if I leave a collar on them it is always round their horns.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh goodness...i'm so sorry. That's really to bad you lost two kids. I sure do hope though that momma and her buckling will stay strong and healthy. Keep us updated! :hug:

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so...sorry ....for your loss....d a r n... :( you must be devastated :hug:
    .. is the traditional buck eating OK...?
    Good luck with getting vanity feeling better and her placenta to expel.....do you think she may have milk fever to?

As for the painted kids....here .......for the longest time........... judges would actually throw the solid colors and paints.......... out of the goat show ring(turned them away )...but now..... they allow them.....and are very popular and winning .....
    one day...... they may change the rules....there....where you are............as they did here........

12. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh my, I am sorry to hear Vanity has lost two of her kids now and that she is not feeling well herself. That poor doe after everything she has gone through lately. And you as well, you must be so stressed with everything that has gone down over the past month and now to lose the doe at birth and then this buck later.
    I sure do hope for your sake that momma and the remaining son survive and start thriving soon. This isn't turning out to be as good as I hoped it would for you. I am sorry you are going through this. :(

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Laurel, I really thought it would turn out a little better, too. Especially since she had picked up and was basically normal in the last week or so before kidding.

She did expel the placenta finally, and is looking ok ... not great but ok. I have treated her for metritis, she is doing a good job looking after baby. He is ok but still cannot stand, so a little worried about that ...

It really really knocked me that the little doe was dead - I really wanted her not only to replace vanity but also my boers didnt go so well for me this year. I started out with five reg. boer does and by the end of the year I will have 1 of those left, plus the one I just bought. :sigh:

Got plenty of bucks though ... they all gave me bucks :GAAH:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If your little guy is still wobbly...do you have bo-se to shoot him up with...he could be deficient in selenium? also give him nutra drench..... :)
    I to...... was praying so bad for you........ to get a doeling out of her....I was so saddened to here she was DOA.. :tears:

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep, I thought of the selenium this morning, too. Will have to get some from work today.

Is your Nutra-drench just like a vitamin and mineral drench? I have Nutrimol which is a vit and min liquid made from seaweed ... probably worth giving him some of that.

Vanity ate some hay this morning - think its the first thing she's eaten since kidding :)

16. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am happy to hear she is eating some hay, that is always a good sign when they start to get their appetite back. :thumbup: hopefully in another day or two she will be back to her normal rations of grain.
    I am wishing you much luck with her recovery and the bucklings too. :)

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad you are giving him a selenium shot...and yes nutra drench is the same ....packed with vitamins... It should fix him right up...His poor momma wasn't eating proper ...when she was ill carrying him,,,so he probably is definitely...the reason he is not getting up... is definitely the sign ....:thumbup:

Alright mom is eating hay.... :leap: :leap: :hug: