Vanity's story continues ...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by keren, Dec 10, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So I havent had A LOT of time to spend with my goats lately, besides feeding and checking everyone is still alive and in their areas lol

I looked at little Pride (Vanity's buck kid) and thought, gosh he hasnt grown much. Now he's probably about two weeks old but he looks the same as when he was born.

I dont think he's getting much milk. I havent caught Vanity yet to check her udder, but Charlotte and Spot both came into the yard with me, and Pride was chasing them round trying to get at their udders.

I just took a bottle out and he took 50 ml. He mainly fiddles with the teat but he had a few good sucks. He should get the idea after a little while.

Hmmmm ...

Not good.

I just weaned Molly the lamb of Shirley one of my nurse does, so I dont know maybe I will put her in with Vanity and Pride and see if he drinks from both, otherwise I might just milk her out for him.

:sigh:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh no thats sad. Thankfully you caught it before he got sickly. Maybe she has a congested udder. Hopefully not mastitis :(

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Uh oh, hopefully Vanity will start letting him nurse.. when Ernie was born, we had to basically hold Jenna down before she would figure out that 'oh wait.. this is my baby..?' I think after the pain of giving birth to him, she wanted nothing to do with the lil monster! Lol.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am sorry to hear that.... :( .....did you get a chance to check out her udder ...to see if she had milk or something else going on? :hug:

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Amos, she feeds him and loves him just fine.

I just dont think she's got much milk.

Havent had a chance to catch her to investigate yet, tomorrow morning (early) I am heading off on a six hour drive for my brother's wedding on Saturday, so I have been going all day trying to get organised. Its a beach wedding ... :greengrin: hopefully the weather holds out they are forecasting rain for fri and sat

Knowing her and her history, the milk problem could be either:

1. Mastitis from a horn injury to the udder a while back
    2. 'Dead' udder or just reduced volume because of the horn
    3. Reduced volume connected to her being really sick before the birth.

I just went out and offered him the bottle and he sucked down 80ml and wanted more, no fiddling this time.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wonderful, seems like he will do just fine since he caught onto the bottle.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hopefully another one will let him nurse if mom does not have much.

Good luck and safe travels to the wedding. I bet a beach wedding would be just beautiful.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ...the wedding sounds so beautiful.......have a safe journey ...and have a great time at the wedding... :)

I'm glad the little one is doing.....good on the bottle....I am sorry that vanity doesn't have enough milk......that is sad.... :(

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Just a quick note to say I'm back ...

Apparently the kid did not take much from the bottle while I was away, but he bounced over to me when I went out before, so I will offer some milk later.

Will post some pics from the wedding a bit later :greengrin:

Lori ... most of my goats wont let other kids steal :sigh: my cattle do a good job of it, I just wish my goats would.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome back keren... :) hope you had a great time ...at the wedding....can't wait to see the pics :leap:
    It sounds like the kid likes you.... and may do better with you... bottle feeding him..... :hug:

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I never thought of that toth. Will see how he goes.

I'm editing the wedding photos now, so will put them up shortly :)

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I remember you saying before ..the kid was doing great on the bottle ...so hopefully he will do better with you...I'm sure that .. is what it is.... :thumbup:

can't wait for the pics :cool: