The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else have issues with their goats throwing themselves against gates to get out of their pen? What I mean is, when I open their gate to go in they throw themselves trying to get out! It is so annoying! Tonight in the process of this little game I hurt my leg! It is soooo frustrating!

Attachments

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Ow! I have one that rams the gate when she wants her turn on the stand....very annoying! She screams the whole time she is waiting, rams the gate and when i go to let her out she runs over my foot more times than not! :mad:
So, yeah! I hear ya!

If I ever build another area, i will make double gates!

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Oh yes..when we had boer goats...I have a dent in my head after being knocked out when a goat pushed a goat who bashed the gate into my head lol..left a huge shiner for weeks!!..I wasn't paying attention...it happens..goats can be pushy..hope your leg heal quickly :D

·
I'm watching you
22,257 Posts
That's what the nozzle on the water hose is for. Anyone within 5 feet of the gate gets drenched.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ouch! Need to find something, to smack the crap outta em to teach em to stay off the gate. Some ^^^ use water. I use a slap on the nose till all the babies (the adults dont do it cause they learned as babies not to) are off the gate and backed away before I enter. You need to show them that you are the herd boss. Fun time is for fun. Chore time is for them to stand back and let you get it done.

·
730 Posts
I had a similar problem here EVERYTIME I went in to feed.>> (Boers) <<. I got tired of having to pull the gate open with 3 goats standing on it..I tell them "GET-BACK"!! and then give them about 3 seconds to clear the gate. If they don't move, I just turn around and go back inside without feeding them!>> You should've seen the looks on their faces when I 1st starting doing this!!..lol..A lot like they just lost their last friend in the whole world!!..lololol...After making them wait it out for 30 mins or so, id try it again..and repeat if needed! It didn't take them long at all to figure out what "GET BACK" meant, and just how serious I am when I say it!!..lolol...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think starting tomorrow things are going to change!

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
A buck I sold would butt the gate all the time and my finger got caught in it. Swelled up nicely.

Wal-Mart sells some really nice water guns. They have one package of 2 guns, just the right size to carry around. Pump action and the water comes out hard and goes far. I have them scattered in various places and the goats hate them. Several of my goats, all I have to do is pick up a gun and they will stop and walk away. Love it. Get water guns before the summer toys are off the shelf. Hurry.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Mine used to try that, but a few well-placed smacks with a 3/4" wooden dowel, or a swift kick convinced them it wasn't a good idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts