The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miss Bows is a pain in the butt sometimes.

We had it out this morning.

On the milk stand, when she decides she's done, she does everything in her power to put her hoof in the milk bucket. If that doesn't work, she poops. Really, I swear she's more charming than this.

I can tell when she's about to do one of these things and move the bucket then continue on. She was being good this morning (so calm) so one of my daughters took over milking. Of course that's when she nailed both hooves right in the milk bucket.

I took over again and she wasn't happy. She figured once she nailed the milk bucket, she'd be done but she was wrong. I finished her off and the garden got some lovely milk.

My girls(human ones) aren't super perceptive so I think the only way they'll get to milk is if I tether her back legs.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is a FF.
I think she has potential and I assumed she'd settle in time. I'm far more stubborn than she is. I am considering getting an older experienced doe just so milking time isn't a struggle every day and so we have more milk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
She is a FF.
I think she has potential and I assumed she'd settle in time. I'm far more stubborn than she is. I am considering getting an older experienced doe just so milking time isn't a struggle every day and so we have more milk.
Get a hobble for her back legs :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does she decide she's done when he grain is gone? I have a FF that tries to pull the same stunt. Hobbling her just makes her fight harder. Someone on another thread awhile back suggested putting clean limestone in the grain dish (big enough so she won't try to eat them, too) so it takes longer for her to clean it out. Really does work!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the funny part. She has food left when she decides she's done. She gets on the stand full and hard. Once I get her milked out about 1 cup's worth is about when she decides she's had it. Maybe she's concerned her fat little 50lb 3 month old baby needs it :p

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't need an excuse but I needed the courage to talk to the husband who thinks we already have too many.... or 3 more than I said we'd have. And he didn't have a break down yet..... He's usually the one that sets me on the right track as I'm idealistic so we'll see. I don't want to get another goat only to have to sell her because she's one too many.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My kinder that I got on June 2, she's still doing that routine, except she squats and sits half way through her milking. She still has food. She'd rather I milk her with the machine, but I have to hand milk her all the way out, and then she becomes a PAIN. I have to put the bucket under her, and then hand milk her out... This morning she didn't do quite so bad..., progress hopefully:) Well, good luck with yours, funny I'm looking at getting one in milk too. I have 2 to freshen late next month..., so I might not...still debating.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Janeen - what a little stinker. I ordered a machine today. I think it was another post that you made that made sense to me to milk with the machine and then finish by hand so there is less chance of damage.

We have no one freshening later this year. I'm not sure one milker will ever be enough for us. Trying to decide if I should be happy with what we have or get what we think we want.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Janeen - what a little stinker. I ordered a machine today. I think it was another post that you made that made sense to me to milk with the machine and then finish by hand so there is less chance of damage.

We have no one freshening later this year. I'm not sure one milker will ever be enough for us. Trying to decide if I should be happy with what we have or get what we think we want.
Curious what machine did you order? I'm considering ordering the Henry 2 milker so you can do both teats at a time, but I am good with what I have which is the Maggidan milker. It is much easier:)

·
Owner of 4 La Manachas.
303 Posts
Miss Bows is a pain in the butt sometimes.

We had it out this morning.

I can tell when she's about to do one of these things and move the bucket then continue on. She was being good this morning (so calm) so one of my daughters took over milking. Of course that's when she nailed both hooves right in the milk bucket.

I took over again and she wasn't happy. She figured once she nailed the milk bucket, she'd be done but she was wrong. I finished her off and the garden got some lovely milk.

My girls(human ones) aren't super perceptive so I think the only way they'll get to milk is if I tether her back legs.
Sounds like a good way to train your human girls to be more perceptive. The more they work with her the more they will learn on what to look out for. It will make them see more in all areas by waking up a bit so to speak. Just keep letting them work with her when you are not in real need of milk. Best training there is for both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts