very dark scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nancy d, Jan 29, 2008.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    11 mo old with dark scours... I had noticed she had been eating more than her usual share of loose minerals so I am hoping that is what we're dealing with.
    Temp was 101.9 about 2 hrs ago...fiesty enough to balk at the thermometer. Come to think of it thats a little low....rumen sounded OK. Gave 10cc pepto, she ate her grain portion fine and munched on alfalfa. Is curently resting with the others in normal upright position
    Going out soon as hubby gets home to check temp again, maybe give her some probiotics

Thanks in advance!!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    temp sounds normal to me.

eating to much minerals can do that. I would pull the minerals or only provide a minimal amount.

Give the pepto time to work - if after 12 hours there is no change I would consider other options per her symptoms you watch during this wait time.

How do her eye lids look?

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Stacey...didn't think about eyelids! Last worming Dec 8
    Last temp 102.9 an hr ago. Gave her some probious paste. Is picking thru hay, still runny yucky scours a bit lighter in color..probably from the pepto.
    Eyes are clear & bright.

Had this last yr w/a 3mo old for about a day & a half or so...piggin the minerals.

Can't leave out minerals in this damp weather it cakes up & they won't touch it. So I bring out a pan of it...usually I shove them away if I think they've had enough. The adults are pretty good about self regulating.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when you say clear and bright are they bright pink you mean? because if so that means she is good on the worming end.

I would give her another dose of pepto

5. cornishwlr

cornishwlr New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    louisiana
    When it is too wet to leave the minerals out. I mix a little in with their feed each day. That way they don't miss getting them and they don't pig out.

6. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Stacey, gave her another round of pepto...clear & bright I was refering to just the eyes...as oposed to dull.

Hmm Cornishwlr..say at what rate are you doing the minerals? Sounds like a good idear.

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Whew!

Early this am relatively clean rear Thank God! Havent had a chance to see berries yet (been gone most of the day)

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well that is great! Glad for the good news

9. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I add my mineral mix to their daily ration too- I have a condiment container (ketsup) of corn oil and squirt it on the pellets and /or whole oats because I don't feed sweet feed and the oil stick it in place. Every mineral mix says how many ounces they are supposed to have daily and I weighed it out once, got a measuring scoop to fit it and takes me no time at all to do it. I just have individual pails on the fence and they run to what ever as they get the same thing. When I have differences I do stand there until the one who has more has finished just to see she gets what she needs.
    I don't see why this couldn't be done on a large scale simply by mixing it with bagged feed. That what is done for a complete feed anyway.

Are you sure it's not cocci?

10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :thumb: WE GOT BERRIES WE GOT BERRIES :cool: Thank you so much everyone!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is GREAT. We love BERRIES. :thumb:

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Good for you- poop is a gooooood thing. I curse when I have to pick it up and worry when it's not there to pickup.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awesome - thanks for letting us know all is well now

14. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ain't that the truth!

Now someone else. Shesh. Another mineral piggy. :sigh: