The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm just kinda curious if any one else has had this problem. Our boer nanny ginger had two beautiful girls in march. Saturday night wetook them off her and put them in another pin. Sunday she was fine grazing and acting normal. Yesterday I noticed she stayed by their pin all day. She did the same .thing today We brought her in and checked her out and man was she sucken in. So I gave her some vitamins and pro bios. Then we taped up her nips and put the girls back with her. They all then proceeded to go out and graze. Just wondering if any one has suggestions or has seen this happen. The other five girls seem just fine and kinda thankful to get rid of the sixty pound kids beating em up. Just not sure how to wean them if she is going to act like this.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Aw, she just loves her babies ... we actually have chosen not to wean as we just hate to see the distress between momma and baby, and we love the bond. The teat taping will probably help. I have read of someone who teat taped, then put something not-so-tasty over the teat to keep the babies from pulling the tape off.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
It is a lot harder on them to wean when the babies are in ear or eye shot.

Something you might try that I started doing even if it is from the pasture. Get sage and feed it to mom. I chopped it up and put it in a little grain IF they would not just eat it. I had several does that just loved it and they were dried up in a matter of a couple days.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Just wondering if any one has suggestions or has seen this happen.
Yep, every time I wean kids. Weaning is as stressful on the mothers as it is on the kids. Was this doe a first time mother by chance? Weaning is always harder on first timers than on experienced does. Since it sounds like you pasture-graze your does, about the only thing you can do - short of moving the kids to another location - is to give her hay until she dries up and moves on. She will probably go out to graze when she gets hungry enough, but that is a decision you will have to make.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Aw, she just loves her babies ... we actually have chosen not to wean as we just hate to see the distress between momma and baby, and we love the bond. The teat taping will probably help. I have read of someone who teat taped, then put something not-so-tasty over the teat to keep the babies from pulling the tape off.
I have to admit, I hate weaning time with ff. The older does know what's up...but...it's tough the first couple of times. I pull kids as they are sold. I love it when all a does kids leave on the same day! Then I milk doe and I don't have to hear all the screaming!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try the sage thing. Thank you. We only have two acres so out of sight and ear shot is really hard to do. If I don't wean them my self will they ever stop drinking.
This is not gingers first time she did kid last year but she kidded at night and i'm not sure if it was hard or what but the kid was dead in the morning. She walked around for over a week looking for it. My hubby thinks this might have some thing to do with her behavior now. I'll keep a close eye on her today. She wouldn't even take grain last night befor we brought her girls back.
And i waited to take the boys till it was selling time but i'm keeping my girls to build the here up. It did but down on screaming with those two mommas though which was way nice. Lol just hate when they don't feel good.
Thanks guys we have had the goats for over two years but this is our first real kidding year.

·
Super Moderator
82,122 Posts
It is a hard and sad time, but, it has to be done. The teat tape gets pulled off and then, the kids are at it again. Restarting her milk.

I just make them except, it is time to wean and dry up. They scream and lose weight. But, after a weeks time, it gets a bit easier for them.

I, at least dry them for 3 weeks and then, if they have kids out there, I will tape the teats, then, let them out and see. Some with that time period, will not allow their kids to nurse and walk off when they try, while those few, will stand there and let the kids go to town, if the tape stays on at this point, just in a short time the kids will give up. Then they are weaned. It is tough love, but, we must get them prepared and give them plenty of time to recoup. Believe me, I hate weaning time, it is heart breaking.

·
1,524 Posts
Some does will wean their kids, others will not. I have several that will let the kid nurse until they die of old age! I have to ohysically remove the kids from the doe pen. Yes, they scream. Yes, they are upset. But it is the best thing to do for the doe or she will be so run down she can get sick or not be ready to be re-bred when the time comes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts