The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I have a Saanen doeling, Madeline. The place I got her from seemed like really nice people, she had a ton of feed out, and had pasture, but I am afraid they missed cocci. From what i understand, she had been wormed previous.

She was very bony and potbellied. After the DiMethox, her pot belly seemed to disappear, but she is still pretty bony to me.

Since she has been in my care,(5 1/2 weeks), she had a 6 day course of DiMethox 40%. She had a dose of Valbazen. This was about 5 weeks ago.
Her growth is not impressing me :( So, yesterday, when I was trimming hooves, she got copper (2 grams), selenium/E gel and a cd&t shot. I also gave her a dose of Ivomec.I am going to redose in ten days.and again in ten...

She and her friend (another doeling) get 2 cups of 50/50 alfalfa and sweet 18% every morning(shared).They get free choice hay that is actually making my buck "hefty" along with his wether buddy :/ They get loose minerals.

I am so freakin' disappointed in her growth. Her parents were used on a dairy farm and were really big I was told.

I know she will not be able to be bred this year for sure...I am betting she weighs 35 lbs, tops. She was born March 2nd :(

I'll try to post an updated pic tomorrow....here is a pic after I first got her...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
I would add Calf Manna and I would also up her feed amount. I have a purebred LaMancha doeling that is 5 months old and a LaMancha/Nubian cross who is 3 months old and they get 3 cups in the morning and 2 cups in the evening of my grain mixture for a total of 5 cups per day each. My hay is alfalfa/grass mix. They are growing really well and I even fought pneumonia twice in the LaMancha.

I probably would do another coccidia treatment as well just to be sure and get them knocked out. Once they have it bad, it is hard to rid them of it.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Hmmm, to put weight on her and help her grow maybe some calf manna? I think that is a good sign with the horns... I got took to with my new baby Bella... Turns out it was the same people I didn't want to buy from because they wean their kids at 4 weeks... It was a different ad that I answered on CL and I put it all together when I got home.... I put her back on a bottle, she is gaining weight, but I'm hoping she isn't going to be stunted.... The lady that is helping with my little herd recommended calf manna for nutrition sake..., so I will be getting some, along with noble goat medicated feed to prevent cocci.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, That much grain?? I believe you but I thought a max of 2 cups each a day for kids...I will start building her up more tomorrow!

I give my yearling doeling 1 cup a day of my mix and she is getting chunky! Although, to keep Heidi in good shape while milking I do 13 cups a day...

I'll start DiMethox again tomorrow too...

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
I'm probably giving a little more than I should but 1/3 is sprouted oats/wheat and 1/3 is alfalfa pellets and the last 1/3 is a 16% goat feed.

I would probably at least make sure she has 2-3 cups per day of feed just herself. Of course up it slowly.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is small...she is the size of my other doeling who is a Fainter/Nubian cross and 2 months younger. :(

I know this sounds harsh, but I am not sure I am going to want to put a whole lot of time and money into her if she will be stunted.I would like for her to at least be the size of my Nubian....so how long do you wait to see if the growth is going well? A month or two? Maybe 4-5 months? Or should I look for weight gain averages each month?

Any suggestions?

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 5 month old is about 60 lbs and my 3 month old is about 45 lbs.
Yeah, that's what I was hoping to see...I'll try to weigh her tomorrow and get an actual weight...I'll measure her too and get pics of her now...

It's so frustrating when you keep making errors in judgement as a newbie.I knew she was small but I thought her growth would have picked up more pace by now. I wish i had just saved more cash and bought a yearling...

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She looks really small to me.. Here is a picture of my doeling 1/2 Saanen 1/2 Lamancha born May 20th. I don't feed the babies any grain at all. They have unlimited pasture, that's it. No alfalfa either.

View attachment 39386
That looks like a healthy doeling! My other doelings look good and healthy but they were born here...

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Maybe start out with 1/4 cup and work up to 1/2 cup or so. Kind of see how it goes. I would give her some time. The slow growers seem to catch up around a year old. You may also have some slow growing genetics in there too if you don't totally know her background. She is adorable.

Replamin Plus might be helpful too. I give it to my girls once a month.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks :) She really does have a cute face...she is also pretty mellow...not hyper active but very food motivated.

I'll start the calf manna this weekend and tomorrow the DiMethox again, along with 1/4 cup more alfalfa/sweet mix.

I think goathiker said there are some slow growing lines of Saanen...but it's the twiggy legs and overall poor condition that bother me. Hoping the copper will help...

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Her face is sweet.....my vet told me once that they usually catch up by age two....she has a wormy look to me, the thin legs and barrel like middle..her hair shouldbe sleek.....have you done a fecal to be sure your wormer/cocci treatment is working? Check for tape as well which can also stunt growth...

1 - 20 of 268 Posts