Very odd

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goathappy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    This morning my brother went out to feed his two boer bottle babies to find his bottle wether missing :scratch: We searched all over the farm, and in all of the surrounding woods but there is absolutely no sign of him. No hair, no blood, nothing. The dogs were all out last night, we didn't hear anything and he's just gone without a trace.

I have no idea what could have happened but it just seems really odd, and none of our other goats are missing and there is absolutely no trace of the wether anywhere. :scratch:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my thats crazy -- really weird. I hope you find him

3. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    I don't want to freak you out, but someone on one of the yahoo lists said nearly exactly the same thing. Then it happened again. And another time. Until they found out their LGD was eating them! :?

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    That's weird :? Did someone maybe steal him...since he is real friendly, I assume? I wonder if he got out and wandered into the woods and then got killed. :tears: I hate to think of that, just trying to think of what may have happened? Or maybe he's curled up behind something and he just hasn't come out???

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh how sad... :( ..that must be very frustrating.......not knowing.... :hug:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her Pygmy goat. How big was he? Could a Hawk come down and gotten him? I have heard of that happening, I have had them get my cats that way. :hug:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we had screetch owls eating our ducks -- anyone ever seen a scretch owl? those things are tiny

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    He's about two or three months old, so a hawk couldn't have carried him off. None of the dogs had blood on them(its hard to hide blood stains on a pyrenees :roll: ) and we looked in every possible place on this farm and we have found no trace of him. He was there and fine last night. Our woods were easy to search through since they've been eaten down, but our neighbor's are really overgrown. The neighbor's woods is quite a ways away so I'm not sure if he could have wandered over there but we checked anyway. We also have a field of hay that is shoulder high that isn't cut yet, but thats by the neighbor's woods so its far away. It just seems to me that that would be to far for him to wander off, especially in the middle of the night :(

9. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    I hope you find him! He may still turn up :)

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

could someone of come to your farm and taken him in the night? I have heard of that happening before. But it seems your dogs would of barked?
    beth

11. Tyler

Tyler New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I have a barn that has two walls (one inside. one outside) with a cavity in between. One of my goats got into the cavity once and couldn't get out. Could something like that have happened to your goat? :?

12. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    That is very strange.... :scratch: Do you have any large predators around your place that could have carried him off? :shrug: I hope you find out soon. :hug:

13. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Oh how frustrating and worrisome! I hope you find him soon! :worried:

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I hope you find him, that is strange that there isn't a sign of anything at all. Entirely possible that he was stolen.

My mom rents a trailer on a beef farm and 2 weeks ago there were 15 calves in the field...now theres 14, no sign of the missing calf anywhere, no blood nothing, the cow wasn't even bawling for it :?

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hate to say it but you would be surprised. My friends was 6 months old.

16. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    That's too bad. :( I'm praying that you find the little guy and that he's OK.. :pray:

17. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Oh I'm so sorry. That is a sickening feeling. *cringes*

18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well he still hasn't turned up today :( We went over and looked at the neighbor's dogs, they're all clean. We only have red tailed hawks around here and they don't even bother the chickens since we got our pyrenees.

Our one pyrenees is part anatolian and has bitten people if he thought they were threatening his goats, and all of our dogs are very sensitive to cars coming and going, they bark at them all, even the ones on the road a quarter of a mile away, so we would have heard them barking. Plus, we have goats much more valuable to steal, so why take a wether? It doesn't make sense :(

Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts everybody.

19. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :( sorry you havent found him yet :hug:
    our dogs are like that too..they bark at birds. :roll:

20. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I am so sorry you lost him!! hope he turns up! :scratch: