Very Pregnant Doe Question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Hi all! I've been lurking on this forum since summer, soaking up all the information I can get my hands on. Thank you for providing us newbie goat owners a place to learn.

I have a very pregnant nubian doe that is due to kid on the 28th of this month. This will be the first time I've ever witnessed a birth. Luckily she's done this before six times (roughly). I have read several places that I should worm her the day after she kids. My question is, her lower eye lids are a light pink...kinda pale, not dark at all. I'd like to worm her. Can I worm her now? And then again the day after she kids? Or should I just wait until she kids then worm her (not now). I have a nice new bottle of Ivomec and I plan to worm her orally at a dose of 1cc per 34 pounds.

Thank you for any help!

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am not one to ask at all because in the 9 years I have had goats, I have only dewormed 3 times. I have NEVER ever dewormed after kidding and I can not even count how many kiddings I have had here.

What I would do if I were you is take a fresh sample of her feces to the vet and have them do a fecal float on her. First of all IF she has a worm problem you need to know what KIND or worms. Not every dewormer works on all the worms, so you could be just wasting your money if it is the wrong one. Also, make sure the vet know how close she is to kidding.

3. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Good idea. I'll get a fecal done. Thank you!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well hi there..... you are so welcome...we are happy to help... :greengrin: :thumb:

Yes... you can.... if she really needs it....then hit her again 10 days later to get the hatching eggs.....the 2nd dose... would put her closer to kidding time.... or shortly after....Ivomac is safe for pregnant Does...but do not use the Ivomac plus.. it is unsafe.... I use 1cc per 33 lbs .... :wink:

5. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Good to know. Obviously I would worm her according to her pregnant weight....if she was 120 pounds before pregnancy how much do you think she would be now? Do I just guess or worm her for 120 pounds?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Well... if you think she is carrying twins.... allow for the weight of those kids.... so say ...they weigh at birth ....7 lbs each... make it that much more per lb dosage....it is OK ....to overdose a bit.. on the Ivomac... it won't hurt.... it is better ....to give more than less..... so yes... it is a guesstimate.... :wink: :thumb: