The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I returned home today from work (gonefrom 9:30 - 6:30) walked into my barn and peeked into the stall that has mythree youngest doe babies in it (6 and 7 weeks old) to see the 6 week old doedangling upside down by one leg three feet off the ground.

I make hay baskets with welded fence……Icriss cross one layer in the opposite direction of the other so that I haveroughly 1.5"x1.5" squares which works well for the hay in terms of the goatsbeing able to pull it out easily but it doesn't fall out all over the place soit gets ruined. I weave it together onthe sides and various locations in the middle with electric fence wire. It works great on cattle panels outside andis easy to attach to walls or panels inside the barn.

All the babies for three yearsrunning jump up inside these baskets and eat hay from the top….and no one hasever gotten caught in one ( I have had about 60 babies so far). This little one somehow got her foot caughtbetween the fencing when she jumped out and dangled by her ankle for I don'tknow how long. Remember I was gone 9hours today.

I carefully examined her leg anddetermined it was not broken. There arescrapes from where she twisted and a very small amount of raw skin in the worsearea. I put her down to test her leg andshe didn't want to put any weight on it so I decided it was possible it was "asleep"so I carefully and gently manipulated it for a few minutes like she was ridinga bicycle….she didn't complain or I would have stopped but I was concernedabout lack of circulation.

I checked on her periodically while Idid chores and milking and exercised it a little bit more……she holds it up andtries not to use it but if I try to catch her and she wants to move fast I dosee that she puts her weight down on it so she can scurry away faster.

I am at a loss what to do……..I don'tknow how badly this has stressed her out and what those ramifications mightbe. Should I assume she is in pain andgive her something? I have non-coated babyaspirin……if she was a horse I would be working against the possible chance shewould colic, but I don't know what to do with her and wonder if anyone hasideas?

Thanks everyone.

Karen

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry about some of the words running together.....my internet has been acting up so I did a word doc and cut and pasted it so that I could get it launched before it died on me....it keeps going in and out and is very frustrating.....

When I cut and past some of the words get blended.....gotta watch for those grammar types....lol

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
wow..that would scar me too!!...Believe me you can have what seems to be a safe feeder for years but one day someone is going to prove you wrong!! Sounds like she needs to rest a bit ....she may be just fine in a day or two since you determined its not broke...b complex is nice to give any time a goat is stressed and Probios in case hangin upset her rumen any...but mostly allow her to decide when to add weight..keep a close eye on her...be sure she eats and drinks...Best wishes for a quick recovery

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I have had things like this happen to me a few times. Glad to hear she seems ok! I agree on the B-Complex and Probios to give her a 'boost'

I would just watch her, but she should be fine in a day or two :) but it sure gives you a heart attack!

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My husband and I just checked on her and I will be going back down again before bed and I will give probios and Vit B complex as a precautionary thing. She acts really dazed......I don't have a clue how long she was like that.....

So Lucy the 7 week old was in the hay feeder.....guess she didn't learn anything watching her friend hang there all day.....lol.

Karen

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Poor thing :( I'm sure she will feel better soon :)

Lol! They don't seem to hehe!!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
^ I was just thinking the same thing.. Or baby aspirin is what we use for now, until we get our Banamine...

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Banamine and baby aspirin.......suggestions/thoughts on which one? How much
banamine for a 6 week old?

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Weigh her. I would give Banamine. It is always 1cc per 100 lbs. So if she weighed 15 lbs it would be .15cc

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
She may have a limp for a week or so but all should be good. Sooo glad you found her alive and not...

I had a doe who somehow got her collar over a lone T post. Guessing she was scratching her head and just caught it just right and she effectively was stuck. We leave enough room in the collars so it wasnt tight. That is until her buck kid some how got his leg over the collar right next to the T post and freaked out. He flipped over at least twice. Tightening the collar around the doe throat and his leg. I just happened to step out the back door not to long after it happened and heard the doe screaming as much as she could while being choked. The boy was on his back on the ground with his front foot straight up next to the T post. Of course I get out there and cant get the collar off and didnt have my knife on me. So I started screaming at the house and finally got someones attention to bring me out a knife and cut the collar off. Doe was fine but the boy was limping for a week or so.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
If I'm understanding your post correctly, she was hanging upside down by one leg? If that is the case, she probably wasn't there that long or you would have found her dead. It doesn't take long for an upside down goat or a goat that has gotten stuck laying on his/her back to bloat and die. I'm thinking she will be fine as long as she hasn't dislocated something or severely strained/twisted/pulled a muscle or ligament. Banamine or aspirin will help with pain and any swelling/inflammation that is present, but be careful with it as she could further injure herself if there is no soreness to 'remind' her that she has been hurt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
She may have a limp for a week or so but all should be good. Sooo glad you found her alive and not...

I had a doe who somehow got her collar over a lone T post. Guessing she was scratching her head and just caught it just right and she effectively was stuck. We leave enough room in the collars so it wasnt tight. That is until her buck kid some how got his leg over the collar right next to the T post and freaked out. He flipped over at least twice. Tightening the collar around the doe throat and his leg. ...
We were putting up a cross fence and the goats were still in the pasture. In the evening I heard goat screaming...Two of the herd queens had started arguing next to the nylon line we were using to place t-posts and got both their heads/horns tangled together so badly they were on their backs and couldn't get up! We were laughing so hard we had a hard time cutting them loose.
I was tempted to put them on their feet and leave them tied till they learned to get along.!

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Everyone,

Baby Saavy is doing well.....gave probios, Vit B Complex and aspirin at midnight last night and she is almost her normal self......limping and favoring that leg but doing well.

Thank you for your suggestions/concerns/stories......

Hillbilly, with horses that don't get along you tie their halters together and make them learn to work together....lol........

Karen

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
So glad she is doing well..;)

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All,

So it was so lovely out this weekend that even though I kept the doeling in on Friday to minimize her activity, I let her out Saturday and Sunday......

Sunday night I noticed she was holding her foot up again and it is soooo swollen and now if I move it she screams (probably from the swelling). The swelling is so severe that her hooves are spread about 3/4 of an inch apart.....

I gave her two baby aspirin yesterday every four hours and this morning I gave her three of them.......I soaked her foot in cold water which she hated. Any other suggestions?

I do have banamine if that would be a better pain/inflammation reliever.......she is only about 7-8 pounds....

Karen

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I think banamine would be the better of the two if you have it.
Hope the swelling gose down quickly!

·
8,177 Posts
In addition to the Banamine, can you soak the foot in Epson Salts? That helps take down the swelling. If you could hold her and keep the
foot elevated after the soaking, that would help too. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts