The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
I actually would do Dex instead of pain relief. She probably further strained herself. Let me explain first before you jump on me guys...lol. In case something has indeed been damaged I still would want her to feel that pain to know not to use it to speed healing. Until you're 100% sure there has been no muscle damage or ligaments/tendons strained. Get rid of the swelling, get rid of most of the pain. Dex does wonders.

I also would do warm compress on the joint/wherever is damaged.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What is Dex? Is it OTC? Vet prescribed? The swelling is below the ankle joint.....in her lower foot......the very bottom of her foot.....I am heading home now so will check and see how things are and report back.

·
2,203 Posts
What is Dex? Is it OTC? Vet prescribed? The swelling is below the ankle joint.....in her lower foot......the very bottom of her foot.....I am heading home now so will check and see how things are and report back.
Dexamethasone. It's a steroid. Works excellent for swelling, muscle trauma. Used especially for head injuries. It is vet Rx but easily handed over per request.

I really am going to urge you to start her on Dex before the pain reliever. She's damaging herself further with numb pain instead of the shocking "ow!" Sensation that tells her not to use it.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with mjs500doo on the dex. I would not do only warm compresses, though. Warm compresses increase blood flow, thereby increasing swelling and inflammation. Instead, I think I would alternate warm with cold at 10-15 minute intervals. Warm to help with healing through blood flow, cold to decrease swelling and inflammation. I would not do banamine or aspirin anymore as it takes away the pain and could cause further injury. Be advised, however, that dex suppresses the immune system so if there are any animals that are sick in her pen/vicinity, she needs to be isolated from them if they are contagious.

·
2,203 Posts
I agree with mjs500doo on the dex. I would not do only warm compresses, though. Warm compresses increase blood flow, thereby increasing swelling and inflammation. Instead, I think I would alternate warm with cold at 10-15 minute intervals. Warm to help with healing through blood flow, cold to decrease swelling and inflammation. I would not do banamine or aspirin anymore as it takes away the pain and could cause further injury. Be advised, however, that dex suppresses the immune system so if there are any animals that are sick in her pen/vicinity, she needs to be isolated from them if they are contagious.
Interesting. Our vet has been telling us for years never ever put cold on a joint wound. Ever. You're correct about always pairing up Dex with MultiMin or ImmunoBoost. We always work hand in hand. Anytime anyone has a joint/bone/muscle issue we pull up our mandatory protocol:
Dex
Vitamin B
Multimin
ImmunoBoost
Warm compress
Hospital pen
Electrolytes
Probiotics
Gentle manipulation

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
In the human world, you always put ice on a joint injury to bring down swelling. again alternating warm and cold intervals...

Just a side thought.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I believe that she might have an infection brewing (not sure how because I cleaned it and treated antiseptically) so I have started her on Pen G.

Thanks for the information on Dex....I don't have that so will have to get it from the vet and add it to the pharmacy.......I have more goat medicine than human medicine now....lol! But it certainly is handy to have it on hand and not need the vet before treatment can begin.

Karen

·
Administrator
84,665 Posts
If a wound festered, I recommend opening it up and getting any pus out. To test if it is, all you have to do is, give any wound area a squeeze, if it is infected it will ooze out pus. It will hurt her, but needs to be drained and flushed, if that is the case, so she can get better along with antibiotics.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi Erica,

Her food continues to be very enlarged...it is spongey/puffy and the two hoof sections are at least 1/2 inch apart so I soaked her lower leg in warm water in the kitchen to remove what scabby areas there were (not many and more surface type scabs) to see if we could figure out what was going on. My husband decided we should insert a syringe inbetween the two toes but a little further up so that she didn't have anything else open that would touch the ground......there is no pus infection but there was clear liquid mixed with a little blood in there. We applied pressure and let as much of this liquid come out as possible and then her foot looked much more "normal)......but when we went down at 9:00 last night it had swollen back up again......we squeezed and released more liquid and gave her her antibiotic (Pen G). It might be a little bit better today not AS puffy but it is still pretty swollen. I also gave her a dose of Banamine last night to help with the inflammation. I hadn't been giving it, agreeing that she needed to know it hurt so as not to use it.

I am not sure if I should continue the Pen G but her temp was starting to go up before I started her on it so I think she was brewing an infection at that point in time. Today will be day 5 on the Pen G. Does anyone think I should bind it with bandage material to keep it from swelling up as much?

Thanks for your concern Erica.....How are things over your way.......2leg and 4legged?

Karen

·
2,203 Posts
I would start on Dexamethasone myself.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i agree that a steroid is needed. as Erica (my daughter) said if your hubby is headed this way i have plenty of steroids (oral) that could let you have. if she has had 5 days of pen and still has a fever you may need to switch to another antibiotic. we have had good luck with children's motrin for fever and pain. double the dose and it will bring the fever down in an hour.
on another subject Celestial is doing fantastic, she the favorite doeling. she has her own stall that we tell her to go to bed every night and off she goes!! she's so funny.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi Enchanted goats.....

Thanks for the offer of steroids but we won't be going that way so I will call the vet on Monday and probably have to wait until Tuesday to get her seen.

I think it is that last joint on her ankle.....I think that is where the problem is......

She doesn't have a fever and hasn't these past 4 days but I think she was headed that way........I think I will give her Pen G one more day to make sure I have her covered before taking her off it and seeing how things go. Hopefully infection isn't an issue anymore.....when I checked her wounds nothing was deep enough to cause anything serious.

Well Celestial always was a pistol! That's an Aurora baby for sure......divas all the way. How does Vixen feel about "not" being favorite doeling......oh maybe she is favorite FF...lol. Glad to hear Celestial is doing good and very sorry to hear Erica is dealing with what she has on her plate..... :(

K

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the vet may inject the ankle itself with steroids, and if he cant see her til then she may be lots better, lets hope so i also hope that it has no long term effects.
Vixen is still spoiled rotten, but not as spoiled as Celestial, we will be out milking and she will just walk right in and help herself to the grain, she picks out the boss first as that seems to be her favorite. Nobody else is allowed to do that!!

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Oh that's too funny!!

I would like to think her foot would be better by then by highly doubt it......what are your thoughts on wrapping it with one of those sticky type of ace bandages? Do you think it would help or hinder?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
try it for a day and see if it helps, probably should put cotton on it first as you opened it up.It wont hurt it at this point and might help, i have ra and use those after steroid injections its comforting and is sort of a splint effect.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts