Very sick doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sweetgoats, Jul 6, 2010.

1. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I guess I mainly need prayers for Isabel.

We noticed on Saturday that she just was not right. So we got her to the barn took her temp. 106.7. :(

I went right in and got the stethoscope, her lungs were a little raspy. So I thought pneumonia. All I have is Penn and Excenel. I used ice packs on her head and neck, for several hours, and I drenched her with revitalize water, I got a fan and had it on her all this time. I have no Banamine of course. I called someone and they said to go ahead and give her a aspirin. The temp went down to 105.2 WOW, not a lot of help. This morning it is back to 106..

I have a vet appointment today. Please pray she makes it until they can get her in.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Prayers sent your way for...Isabel....let us know ..what the vet says... :hug: :pray:

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so sorry, I hope she gets in okay, and they can figure out what is up. Lots of thoughts and prayers going your way!

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Have you been giving her the Excenel? Poor girl... I hope she gets better for you soon! Have you tried getting LA 200???? Most of the local feed stores usually carry it. :hug:

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I hope you got her in to the vet. The aspirin dose for goats is very high, this is from the Fias Co web page:

Drug Name:

Aspirin- 325 mg

* For treatment of:
    o This is anti-inflammatory, that also reduces temperature and is a pain killer.
    * Goat dose: Oral
    o 1 regular aspirin per 10 pounds.
    * Milk withholding time: 24 hours
    * Notes:
    o Aspirin is poorly absorbed from the rumen so a relatively high dose is needed.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Prayers for Isabelle and you.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I took her to the vet last night. Her temp was 105.9. As the vet was walking in he was looking at the chart and went "OH WOW". That is high.

He said she did not have pneumonia, she had very swollen lymph nodes, in the front neck area, but no where else. Color of her eyes and gums were good.

He said he really had no idea at all, but he gave her a shot of Banimine and she is now on Baytril. HE said to take her temp Thursday, and see what it is and call and let him know. I will continue the Baytril for I believe 5 more days.

She ate some shredded wheat squares from me, and some goat treats, so that was a good sign. He said to keep molasses waster out for her. I told him I have water, electrolyte water and molasses water. So she had lots to chose from. he was like (ok, you have that covered).

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow...how bizarre.... :scratch: ....hope whatever it is..... she snaps out of it soon....... keep us updated... :hug: :pray:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ooo careful, careful, careful with the baytril, that killed one of my goats and made another seriously sick.....

I;d go with Excenel, it's just as broad spectrum and much safer.....

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I've used Baytrol on 4 of mine and they did great. what is it supposed to do to them?
    Prayers and hugs sent. :pray: :hug:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was using Excenel and it was not working at all.

What happened to your goats when you used it?

12. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I've also had poor experiences with Baytril.. I wouldn't use it... it does not work at all.... I had a doe on it that started out with a sinus infection... by the end of the Baytril treatment she had full fledged pneumonia and has had permanent lung tissue damage. Try Bio Mycin, LA 200 or Nuflor. Wouldn't mess with Baytil and I would try asking your vet for a different drug (that actually works on goats) aand give him back the Baytril. Sorry but I know you want your girl to get better. :(

13. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    I think whatever medication anyone uses, there will always be something bad said about the medicine by someone who had a bad experience. As we all know, anyone can have any bad reaction to a medication. I personally am terribly allergic to topical iodine. Practically my whole family is allergic to penicillin. I know this vet is awesome when it comes to goats, and I don't think he would give Lori a medication knowingly that will have a bad affect on the animal. I don't think really any doctor or vet will. It is always unfortunate when a medication has the opposite affect on an animal. Because Lori took her doe to a veterinarian, I would follow the doctor's orders and I know Lori, and if she sees anything that shouldn't be happening she would be on the phone with the vet or in his office. If she hadn't taken the doe in, then yea I would say be wary, but he has the med degree I don't lol :laugh:

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Thank you all for the info on the Baytil, it is great to know, but like Sammy said I am going to stick with it because he is a great goat vet. Her temp is down (as he said it should be with the banimine, but she just looks better. She ate quite a bit of hay and drank a good amount of molasses water.

I just would like to THANK Sammy and her fiance Matt, they went to my house and brought Isabel in to the vet and I met them there. They are real sweet heats, THANK YOU :thumbup: :thumbup:

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad she is getting better.......... :hi5: :hug:

16. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Lori, you are very welcome! You have done so much for me in the past that this was the least I could do. I am glad to hear that she is eating and drinking more :cool:

17. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Awesome news!!

18. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Great news! How's she doing today?

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008