The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, a 10 week old kid was weak with a messy tail. He had discharge in his eyes. I had banded him on the previous Sunday. All seems well with the banding. I brought him inside. Temp was low, 100. I washed him. Cleared his eyes. They were red, so I put some pink eye drops in. Nose is also runny. Warmed him up. It's been raining not stop and everything is muddy and messy. He's showing the signs of cocci, but he's not going to the bathroom and very dehydrated. So I decide to treat him for cocci and a cold. I give him corid with a B vitamin shot. He's 8 pounds. I gave him 2 cc corid and 1/3cc B. I gave him 2 cc nutra drench and start giving him bounce back electrolytes by syringe because he won't drink on his own. Wrap him up and keep him warm. This started about noon Thursday. By midnight, he's awake and starts eating and drinking some on his own. I just gave him some hay to chew on. In the morning he has a bit more energy and can stand some. I give him a little bit of grain, but he's not very interested. He does like the hay and continues to drink on his own. He finally poops some, it's not runny, more like a clump. He's been peeing. He's been standing and walking around a bit. I gave him some green leaves as well. Give him another dose of corid and vitamin B. His cold is clearing up. This morning comes and something's wrong. Now he won't stand. His legs are completely weak. His head and neck keeps twisting to his left side. He won't drink on his own. I am clueless what is going on. Any ideas would be appreciated. My vet is closed until Monday.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Temp is critically low. 97. I wrapped him in warm towels to try to warm him up again.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I floated him in warm water and wrapped in heated towels again. I'm going to get a heating pad. Just need some idea as to what's wrong?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is he crying and thrashing, check his eyes for blindness, he could have polio from all the treatment. If so, give him thiamin or vitamin B1, banamine, and Oxytetracycline ASAP. Look up the doses.

·
Super Moderator
58,392 Posts
Giving Corid and B complex at the same time negates the Corid. You would do the B complex after completing the Corid. With low temp, rumen is shutting down. I'd work on rumen with probiotics. Maybe even some dark flat beer. For an adult you'd give 6 ounces so maybe only an ounce or so for the little one.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is he crying and thrashing, check his eyes for blindness, he could have polio from all the treatment. If so, give him thiamin or vitamin B1, banamine, and Oxytetracycline ASAP. Look up the doses.
Just laying there. Not crying. Doesn't look blind. I've only been treating him for 2 days.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Giving Corid and B complex at the same time negates the Corid. You would do the B complex after completing the Corid. With low temp, rumen is shutting down. I'd work on rumen with probiotics. Maybe even some dark flat beer. For an adult you'd give 6 ounces so maybe only an ounce or so for the little one.
The instructions I was told was b shot with the corid. :-( I couldn't find the other cocci medicine that was recommended, so I just had corid. And it said corid blocked absorption of B, so give it after every dose. I hate all the conflicting information out there. Makes things twice as hard.

I'll get some probiotics in him. His rectal temp is reading 100, but his mouth feels very cold still. Now I'm thinking I didn't catch the cold in time and he got pneumonia. He's still congested.

·
Fair-Haven
4,649 Posts
I suspect pneumonia as well. In his condition, I would get him to the vet. At the very least get some strong antibiotics like Nuflor or Draxxin.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He died while I was at the store getting more meds. Vet is closed today until Tuesday.

Anything I should do for the rest of my herd? Everyone else seems fine. He was weak from birth and had a trip to the vet at a few days old from diarrhea and not standing. But it was fine since until this latest thing. I have 5 other kids around the same age and five adults.

·
Super Moderator
82,486 Posts
I am so very sorry you lost him. :(

With corid, how it works is, it kills off the thiamine in the cocci, not the goat.

Thiamine should not be given with the corid treatments, as it stops the corid from working.

You can follow up with thiamine opr fortified vit B complex after the total course of treatment is finished, like a day after last day of treatment.

However, if a goat is weak, I wouldn't suggest using corid, if a goat is thiamine depleted to start, another method is highly recommended.

I never had an issue using corid causing polio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts