Very sick nigerian dwarf buckling, please help.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KentuckyBeth, Jul 4, 2020.

1. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    I am working with a 27 day old Nigerian Dwarf kid. He is one of four, all healthy at birth.

The short version is this: He has been sick for ten days. 4 different antibiotics have been tried at this point, none have managed symptoms for longer than a day (two days TOPS).

Symptoms include:
    • high temp (104.7 at highest),
    • very droopy ears
    • lethargy,
    • sleeping/standing away from the herd consistently,
    • intermittent nursing,
    • teeth grinding,
    • stands EXTREMELY still for extended periods of time (think a tiny baby goat statue),
    • no playing or frolicking with siblings.
    • He has not been poopy.
    The long version:
    At 18 days old, I began to notice a general droopiness about him. He seemed lethargic, his ears were drooping, I rarely saw him nurse, and he would just stand in place, extremely still for long periods of time (to the point where I repeatedly wondered if he had fallen asleep standing up), while all of his siblings ran and played around him. He did not have a temperature at this time. By 8 pm that evening, he had a temp of 104.2. Started him on Excenel for 5 days.

After a couple of days with no temp but continued droopiness and lethargy, his temp started spiking again (103.6-104.4), switched to Nuflor, couple more days of droopiness, spiked again, tried Drax/Dex (intended to be given twice, several days apart). The last med seemed to have better results, with some playfulness returning, and lower temps, but a few days before his next dose, all symptoms returned full force and the temp spiked AGAIN. We gave the second dose a couple of days early, which dropped the temp, but the very next day (today, 10 days after originally seeing symptoms) he spiked a 104.1. He was given a cocktail of Pen-G, B Complex, and Banamine at 10 am. This dropped him to a 103.2 for a few hours, but by 3:30 pm, he was temped at a 104.7.

He has been receiving a bottle of his mother's milk, because he seems to not be consistently nursing. and several of the times I have seen him try, his mom has moved away from him (can't explain, she doesn't kick off or move from the others consistently).

I am new to goats and anything farm-related, but I fall in love fast, and this little buckling has my heart. But also, to alleviate concern, the people I work with, and those who are administering meds and making those calls are VERY experienced but are officially at a loss as to how to proceed. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: As of today 7/10, he is still persistently ill. For the first time, there is a cough present, and his breathing occasionally sounded phlegmy. This seems to be indicative of pneumonia, but I am still confused because it still does not explain the weeks of illness.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did you weigh him daily to make sure he was gaining weight? It almost sounds like he was slowly starving. I would try and get him full time on the bottle.

3. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    We did weigh consistently early in sickness to determine the necessary dosage of each med. Before the first two meds, he gained, which gave us hope, but he has since lost weight (down to only 7.4 lbs at almost a month old). He was the second biggest at birth, and now even his premie sister has surpassed him in weight. He is on the bottle consistently now and takes it with vigor. Hoping to see turn-around, but super nervous. I would be upset if ANY got sick, but this sweet buckling is a personal favorite.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    Also, I am sorry if this is poor etiquette, but I am brand new to this board. My post says its "awaiting moderation before being displayed publicly." So I don't think many people can see it. Is there a way to change this, or a timeline for when it might be made public?

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is a certain number of posts. But you should be seen by everyone.

It is good he is taking the bottle. With everything you have done, I think it will be a matter of time. Hopefully his body can make the turn around and heal.

In the future, pull kids if there are more than 2 and bottle feed. Or at minimum weigh all the kids daily with a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenths of pounds. Then you will know quickly if a kid isn't getting enough.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would get a fecal for cocci and worms right away.
    Check for anemia.
    Check for lice.

I just approved your thread.
    So all should see it now. ;)

7. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    Thank you ‍♀️
    And thank you for the suggestions. I'm about to furiously research both . Regarding cocci, Nothing has officially been sent to a vet, but his pellets were examined with a microscope with no sign of worms!

I apologize if I sound completely uninformed, it's because I am. I've only been with the farm for about 3 months, but I take it very personally if one gets sick, especially because this buckling became a fast favorite of mine well before he got sick.

8. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    Oh, no. It’s the little guy that looks like my Cowboy, right? Sorry, all I know is a bit about Coccidia, giving probiotic paste helps a lot of things, and that vitamin/mineral deficiencies can cause lots of problems (not that that one has come up so far for me). Maybe he got head butted? Is his belly button area healthy looking? Sometimes they can get infections there. I hope he gets better!

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Is he urinating easily..without humped back or straining? Is his poop pelleted? When you look at his eyelids, underneath them, are they dark pink or light pink?

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    It's not Jorge! Jorgy is thankfully in perfect health but is probably not thrilled that he isn't getting as much attention because of all my focus currently being on the sickie . Belly looks good, but I am interested in the head butt possibility. We have another doe who kidded a few days before, so the litters play together, and one of her boys is particularly fond of running headfirst into the other goats. Do you know of particular injuries I should look for?

11. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    Poop is pelleted and the correct color, urinating easily and in a solid stream, but stands in the position for a long time, not sure if that is indicative of anything? I'll check eyelids first thing tomorrow! This is where my newness comes in, I know I want them to be pink, and greyish is cause for concern. Is grayish indicative of a specific illness, or is it just indicative of general unwellness?

12. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Look up Famacha score on the internet
    It will show you the colors. It also shows you how handle the eye to see it.

KentuckyBeth likes this.
  13. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    OH thank you. I have seen famacha referenced on several different boards and had no idea what that meant.

14. Emrcornerranch

Emrcornerranch Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Lincoln County, MO
    I don’t know much because I’m new to goats as well, but they can sometimes get broken ribs, various internal injuries, and bruising from a strong badly placed head butt, especially from an older goat to a kid or two goats in a fight. Some feeders are dangerous when a goat puts its head in to eat and another hits them while they have their head in. Does he cry like he’s sore if you touch him anywhere? Do you feel any swelling or fluidy areas you don’t feel on the other babies? Shot in the dark but maybe someone else in the forum will know what to do if you answer yes to any of this. I just know it’s bad if you do and might help you figure out what’s wrong where.

15. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    No swelling or pain is noticeable. He grinds his teeth a good bit, which I have heard means he is in pain, but that is really the only sign.

16. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Have you given him any probios? With all the meds hes been on his poor little rumen may need some good flora put back in.

toth boer goats likes this.
  17. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    Sorry for the absence! Yes, he is getting probiotics through kefir a few times a day! It's been a continued cycle now of an up and down temp, continued droopiness followed by a sudden burst of energy. I am honestly at a loss. He did have a bit of a cough, and his breathing sounded phlegmy today, so something new is budding. This has not been a symptom over the past 3 weeks until today

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    May be pneumonia or lungworms.

What was the temp?

Can you take him to the vet?

19. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    104.4, the other night it was 104.7.
    Regarding the vet, I am just an hourly employee at a farm with a LOT of goats, who happened to get super attached to this one particular sick baby. So it's not my call, and I don't know the protocol on if/when a goat gets taken in. In my time there, aside from a traumatic birth, I haven't seen any of the goats taken in, it seems like we have the medicines, and multiple vet contacts so it's typically a phone call as opposed to an actual visit.

20. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    Does lungworm typically present in kids?