The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She went down 2 days ago .. I have alternated worming her .. Valbazen , Cyo, Ivermectin. I found knots on her jaw and this morning she is just laying on side .. her stomach is gurrgling

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Do you know how to check for a FAMACHA score?
Have you had a fecal done?
You need to get her propped up so she’s not laying on her side, she needs to be sternal.
What breed is she?
Whats her temperature rectally? (Normal is 101.5-103.5*F)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know how to check for a FAMACHA score?
Have you had a fecal done?
You need to get her propped up so she’s not laying on her side, she needs to be sternal.
What breed is she?
Whats her temperature rectally? (Normal is 101.5-103.5*F)
No I don't know how to check .. she is a mixed breed no Idea .. I am relatively new to goats

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
4,132 Posts
Agreed with all that has been said.. unfortunately it sounds a vet is her chance of survival. Best of luck to you and your doe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I have been out with her in and out all day .. I have called 3 vets with very no luck of anyone coming out. I have been going out and grazing for her. She can stand for a short time . I have given her every home remedy (molasses and beer) Pine needles . Ivomec one day and then valbazen and citosomething. I have given piobios and selenum . By the chart she is anemic .
I can't believe no vet will come out .

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
4,132 Posts
Sorry I have been out with her in and out all day .. I have called 3 vets with very no luck of anyone coming out. I have been going out and grazing for her. She can stand for a short time . I have given her every home remedy (molasses and beer) Pine needles . Ivomec one day and then valbazen and citosomething. I have given piobios and selenum . By the chart she is anemic .
I can't believe no vet will come out .
You will have to take her to them.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Work with what you can until you can get a vet out, or get her to one. She’s serious so you need to keep trying. She’ll might need a blood transfusion.
Start redcell (get it at tractor supply) 6 cc’s per 100lbs once a day
Give high protein foods like alfalfa
Give Fortified vitamin b complex sub q
lots of fresh browse like pine..
I hope you find a vet soon, best wishes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Work with what you can until you can get a vet out, or get her to one. She’s serious so you need to keep trying. She’ll might need a blood transfusion.
Start redcell (get it at tractor supply) 6 cc’s per 100lbs once a day
Give high protein foods like alfalfa
Give Fortified vitamin b complex sub q
lots of fresh browse like pine..
I hope you find a vet soon, best wishes
Thank you !! I am not stopping !! She eats as long as I graze for her . SO I go in a fresh pasture a graze for her. I gave her pine needles yesterday and red cell and she actually got up and followed me for a few steps . I spoke with a vet tech lastnight who went through the same thing and gave her goat a blood transfusion .. she is willing to help but she just also got dagnosised with covid. Getting the vit b and alfalfa today

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you !! I am not stopping !! She eats as long as I graze for her . SO I go in a fresh pasture a graze for her. I gave her pine needles yesterday and red cell and she actually got up and followed me for a few steps . I spoke with a vet tech lastnight who went through the same thing and gave her goat a blood transfusion .. she is willing to help but she just also got dagnosised with covid. Getting the vit b and alfalfa today
How often should I give molasses ?for energy boost ?

·
Registered
200 Posts
So sorry to hear about your goat! Small tip, we put red cell in with their molasses drink and they drink it right down without having to drench them - that is if she loves and sucks down her molasses drink.

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
I'm sorry it's hard to find a vet.
Give red cell 6 cc per 100# daily by mouth
B 12 is best but b complex injectable will help. You can give the human b 12 orally along with b complex injected to add a bit more 12. Goats go through oral pretty quick.
Give her 30 cc of 50/50 acv and water once a day to help speed recovery
High protien foods help rebuild red blood cells.
I also make smoothies for mine when they need extra calories and not eating well..but if shes willing to eat, grab all the browse you can to tempt her.
Get her up often to keep muscle tone. Keep her up and moving as long as she can.
If you have access to quality essential oils, lemon is great for anemia. 1 to 2 drops in a little olive oil 3 to 4 times a day.
Too much molasses can cause scours..so maybe 2 times a day and go from there.
Hang in there!!

Best wishes

1 - 20 of 36 Posts