Very swollen stomach area on newborn

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by wndngrvr, Mar 4, 2015.

1. We had a set of ND twins last night - the little girl was stuck - head and legs out and her whole stomach area was so swollen mom couldn't get her out. Lube and pull and we got her out okay but I have never seen such a swollen looking stomach area on a baby. Felt like a bowl of jello or that she had just consumed a bottle of milk (too much) I am wondering if something is very wrong internally - her whole middle body was swollen. She seems weak and I was concerned she wouldn't make the night but is still going. Is still fat looking - but not as bad as when she was born. Has anyone ever seen this - I have never experienced this before. The second kid was fine.

2. loggyacreslivestock

loggyacreslivestock Well-Known Member

Check to see if she has an anus. Lots of times if they don't, they are bloated looking.

3. She does - I checked her personal parts first. Unless something is wrong inside the area and not visable.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Have you seen her pee & Poop normally? Is she nursing with assistance?

5. loggyacreslivestock

Can you post some pics of her. From above while she is standing and from the side and rear.

6. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    If you haven't seen her poop, I would give an enema. Either way I would give CD anti-toxin.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    sounds like water belly...

per PIG Library..
    (congenital Atresa ani) which is complete or partial blockage of the anus, or in some cases an incomplete colon. These water bellies show up shortly after birth.

8. She didn't make it. Cathy mentioned water belly - that is what it felt like. No she never passed an fecal matter -I think something was amiss in the colon. Also she was a little early -141 days but don't know if that had anything to do with it. She had a anus but maybe inside was all messed up.
    My little doe is having a hard time - want that little girl so bad. Breaks my heart to see her suffer from the loss. The little boy is strong -eating, pooping and peeing so he will do fine. Thanks for everyone's support. It is great to be able to communicate with people who all love goats.

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Sometimes things just go wrong!

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So sorry you lost her.

11. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

So sorry for your loss :(

12. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    sorry for your loss - it doesn't sound like you could have done anything to make her better.

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  14. loggyacreslivestock

So sorry. Sometimes it's not meant to be.

15. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I believe Cathy was correct. :hug: I'm very sorry.