The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Nubian doe, Bambi, is still off over the loss of our Boer mix, WB, so she isn't eating a whole lot. She'll eat her morning and evening feed, and maybe graze a bit during the day. She's only been doing this for about a week, its hitting her hard.

She is quite thin. When we first got her she was the same as now, but she gained up and was really big for awhile, when she became pregnant I guess it took it all out of her, and she's been skinny ever since. She isn't nursing and isn't making any milk.

I'm wondering what I can feed her to help her out. We'll be getting alfalfa soon which I think is what brought up her weight before. I'm thinking on also getting hay for her soon as well, since that also helped with weight during the winter. We can't really afford anything else for her. I currently feed her:

3 Measuring Cups - Dumor Show Feed
1 Measuring Cup - White Rice

twice a day. The rice had a few little bugs in it, so we didn't want to eat it, so I decided to start feeding it to her, I got all the bugs out. It won't be a permanent thing, and she like it (its crunchy). Once we get the alfalfa, it will be an extra 1 or 2 measuring cups of Alfalfa added twice a day. It is a crushed kind, It isn't like hay, but isn't pellets or squares. Its like crushed hay. Scoopable. Do yall think that will help? Maybe add a section of a square bale of hay a day as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Her ribs are more defined than in the picture, and she had already eaten her morning feed that morning. All her bones are very defined and you can feel them when you touch them. She is otherwise perfectly sound health wise.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Rice is actually bad for the goats, especially white rice. There is no nutritional value for them. I would stop feeding that. You would be better off to add Calf Manna, Alfalfa Pellets and Beet Pulp. I would also give her B Complex shots for a few days in a row to help with her appetite and general well being. I'm also seeing some good results with Replamin Plus for their coat and general well being.

You aren't currently feeding hay? I would definitely put hay out for her.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If she is not pregnant, I would increase her grain. The reason for that is too much grain can make the kids too big. Also, Calf Manna is supposed to really help with weight gain, and you could give her BOSS and alfalfa pellets. Definitely feed alfalfa hay and I would strongly suggest doing a fecal to check for certain types of worms. I have never heard of feeding goats white rice, that probably isn't good for her. I don't know much about John's disease, but I have heard it is a wasting disease. Not to scare you or anything, just considering the possibilities. Hopefully she is better in no time!

I love her colors! :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We'll be doing a fecal soon anyway since we just lost a goat and the vet says it may be something other than our already problematic coccidia in our yard. She doesn't have cocci I know, she's had it twice before though, and made it through really well.

I'll stop on the white rice. I wasn't using it for nutritional purposes, actually, she really likes it and won't finish her normal feed without me standing there UNLESS the rice is mixed in. I'm gonna feed the ground alfalfa hay along with regular hay. Is there a specific name for Calf Manna? And where could I get the B Complex in case my mom doesn't know what it is? And... well... about how much might this all cost?? I'm concerned for her but we are having a cluster of costly things happening and we may not be able to afford all this. I know we can afford adding hay and alfala, though, since we had to throughout the winter.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Calf Manna is called Calf Manna. You can get the B Complex at TSC. B Complex is not expensive. Calf Manna is around $26 in my area but you only give like half a cup up to maybe a cup per feeding. So it should last a while.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
How many lbs are in a cup? I would be feeding her at least a couple lbs of grain per day and 3-4 lbs per day of the alfalfa, plus as much grass hay as she will eat. If you get the Calf Manna, the bag says to feed 1/2 to 1 lb per day so a 50 lbs bag can last one goat a long time.

Is she alone? If she doesn't start to improve you may need to try to find her a new buddy, if she is depressed from losing her friend it may take getting a new friend to help her out of it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many lbs are in a cup? I would be feeding her at least a couple lbs of grain per day and 3-4 lbs per day of the alfalfa, plus as much grass hay as she will eat. If you get the Calf Manna, the bag says to feed 1/2 to 1 lb per day so a 50 lbs bag can last one goat a long time.

Is she alone? If she doesn't start to improve you may need to try to find her a new buddy, if she is depressed from losing her friend it may take getting a new friend to help her out of it.
Sadly we cannot do that. We are keeping her doeling from her twinning and can only have two goats healthily. Unless we sell the buckling AND doeling, which would probably stress her out more, we can't get another goat.

For that much food she won't eat it all. She won't even eat 6 cups of food in one feeding, she stops when she's full. I've tried building it up, but she stops at 4 cups. I tested that when the other goat was still alive.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
So are you saying that her kids are still with her? Are they in the same pen as her?

I know most people feed by weight but I have always fed by the measuring cup. Just works for me but I only have a few goats and they are dairy goats.

If she will only eat 4 cups per feeding, then you need to make every bit of those 4 cups count. I would slowly wean her onto the alfalfa pellets and Calf Manna to give her the most bang for the buck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So are you saying that her kids are still with her? Are they in the same pen as her?

I know most people feed by weight but I have always fed by the measuring cup. Just works for me but I only have a few goats and they are dairy goats.

If she will only eat 4 cups per feeding, then you need to make every bit of those 4 cups count. I would slowly wean her onto the alfalfa pellets and Calf Manna to give her the most bang for the buck.
Yes the kids are in the same pen but they do not nurse anymore as she neither will let them AND she is dry. She got cocci a month or so ago and has been completely dry ever since. She and them are no longer close at all, and she doesn't even take a second glance at them, and vise versa. The kids also haven't started eating feed either.

I'll bump her up to four cups. I'll have to go shopping for all the new stuff tomorrow. I may not be able to get it all that soon though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm gonna put her back on alfalfa and hay and maybe give her a few B Complex shots and see how she does. When she was on Alfalfa she did really good. I'll see how she does on that first, if she isn't getting better, I'll add something else.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Goats loose weight fast and regain weight very slowly..alfalfa pellets are pretty safe to feed free choice...replacing it daily...if she is a slow eater or "grazer" having it out for the day might encourage her to eat a bit more in a day...a few bites at a time..be sure to give them all the C D And T shot...if kids are weened they should also have some feed to help their growth..all need hay to help their rumen function..expecialy if graze is sparce..also just a side note, if your buck is not banded he will breed both his sister and mother...
You might also have her tested for CAE if you haven't done so yet..Biotracking does it for $4.00 ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to get some advice from my neighbor and gave her B12 pills. She ate them like treats and she began eating a lot more grass instantly. I'm gonna start giving her two of those (which equals 5000 mg in all) for the next few mornings. We'll be getting hay tomorrow for her. We already have loose alfalfa hay and I will be feeding her a set amount of that morning/evening, and will be giving her free choice regular hay throughout the day. Her kids will be able to eat the hay as well.

She has a large amount of grazing and browsing throughout the yard, but in her depressed state she hasn't been browsing or grazing a whole lot, but her kids are. I'm gonna start spending a lot more time with her from now on, and the B12 will help her out with that as well.

My neighbor brought up buying sweet feed which is used for horses. We went off that idea after figuring out she'd eat B12 pills willingly. But I brought up maybe using Equine Senior on her. He thought it might be a good idea. What are yalls opinions?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Have you dewormed her? Just reading through your sentence about her being stressed and grazing makes me think worms. We had a doe that we could not keep weight on, no matter what, and after hitting her with some Valbazen she gained about 15 pounds.

If you already mentioned it in the thread, sorry!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea, we've dewormed her. We have to wait till after the 24th since we are getting a fecal done to check for any out of place or bad worms that might be affecting them. We'll be worming her immediately after that. She was wormed the third, when the other goat died.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your worming schedule sounds good. She definitely needs the alfalfa, free choice for the roughage, 1 cup of calf manna ( start out with 1/2 cup and increase to 1 cup) for the calories. Slow down on too much sweet feed, maybe a handful with the calf manna and if it doesn't contain Amonium Chloride then Do Not give it to your buckling/wether as he could develop UC or kidney stones. Just stick to your basics.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Buckling and Doeling don't eat feed anyway, they aren't interested in it. I don't have a pen to separate them yet so I can't put them on any, but they will eat hay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts