Very VERY bad, horrible day

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Feb 18, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Today I found out two things.

One, my dad has lost his job, and at 62 with a back disability its really hard for him to get jobs. He helps me a lot to pay for the goat feed etc

Two, I wont get any funding to do my honours year at uni this year, because centrelink only pays youth allowance to undergrad students (and people who are unemployed, how unfair is that).

Between those two things, plus my big vet and mechanic bills that I am in the process of paying off, and it hasnt rained here since December not a drop, and my hay supplier had a fire come through and wipe out all the hay that he had stockpiled for me (he's my god father, so I got it like half price).

Its really hard to write this but I'm going to have to sell almost all my goats. I put an ad up this morning and honest to god it just about killed me, I cried like a baby when I typed it up.

I'm bawling my head off right now so I'm gonna go to bed and might talk more about this all tomorrow.

I feel like my heart is breaking.

I dont know how on earth I'm gonna let these goats go.
  2. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I am very sorry :hug: I understand having to let some go. My husband has been cut one day at work and that means I need to let some of my goaties go, need to get the feed cost down per month so we can keep our house. You will get thru it.

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    :hug: That's my biggest fear is hubby losing his job and things getting desperate here. If that happens we may have to make some serious changes. I am praying like crazy that this doesn't happen.

I sure hope you can either come up with something to make it possible to keep your goats or have the strength and shoulders to cry on if you do have to let them go.

4. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your dad. Words seem so empty at times like these, I hope knowing others care, helps in some small way.

We are here for you, talk as much or as little as you want. :hug: :grouphug:
  5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    :grouphug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :tears:
  6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    So sorry you have to go through this... :sigh: :hug:
  7. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I am so sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. I will be praying for you and your family.
  8. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I think if we were there, we would all sit around and let you use our sholders, Keren you have been through so much already with the fires. I am so very sorry. My wish is for you to take good care of yourself, and know there is a buncha goatie people out here rooting for you!! :hug: :grouphug:
  9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. My heart goes out to you. :hug:

I also am looking at having to sell alot of my herd due to some life changes that have come about.

Hang in there. Hopefully things will turn for the better for you.
  10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    oh Keren I am so sorry to hear this news :tears: :hug:
  11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Oh! Whereabouts do you live?
  12. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I am so so sorry to hear this. :tears: :hug:
  13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I am so sorry for you. It is always hard to be forced to give up our animals, I've been there too.

I wish you or Kelebek liked closer to me, I'm actually looking for another good milk doe right now. I'd love to be able to get one of you guys.
  15. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I am so sorry to hear this news.. :hug:

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    I'm so sorry Keren! That is horrible!! All you've been through and all the happy animals you've saved.. thats devestating.. May I ask who your keeping? I hope you don't have to sell many..
  17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awww keren, I am so very sorry :hug:
  18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Thanks guys

Cinder, you made me smile :greengrin: I could stick Anna in an airmail envelope for you! (I'm in Australia).

Gone through all the goaties and come up with 18 to sell, plus the 6 sheep to sell, and that leaves me with 12 does, 3 bucks and 3 wethers, but I think I'm going to have to cull that list as well. But now I'm down to the tough ones that I am really close to, so I'm not sure how to get rid of those.

Sweet Pea - she produces my best angora kids, quality - wise
    Lulu - I only got her last year and she is the finest angora I have (micron)
    Levanna - dont have a choice with this one, I got her last year, she was reserve champion at Canberra Royal, but she didnt breed, and the guy I purchased her from, said give her another go this year and if she doesnt breed again he will replace her
    Chelsea - is the only doe left from the very best angora doe I ever owned, who died last year
    D10 - just had her eye removed, so I dont really know if anyone would want to buy a one eyed kid
    D13 - was my best angora kid born in 09, she's sweet pea's kid, she's probably first off this list to go, even though I dont want to
    Heath - is possibly infertile, so I cant sell him as a buck but I also dont want to send him to the abbatoir yet in case he is fertile, I want to see how this breeding season goes
    Traveller - is my Angora buck
    Gizmo - is my very first goat, my pet, if everything had to go he would be staying
    Charlotte - I bought her as a weaner and she has grown into the nicest goat, just won champion boer at a show last weekend, and she's as friendly as a bottle kid. Had a caesarian last year and I thankfully saved her
    Spot - has killer bloodlines and I only just got her, I think she will be a really nice doe, bit feral though
    Calamity - this is a hard one because I bottle raised her, she's an outstanding type of goat, but she's unregistered so I really should let her go but I dont know if I can
    Padre - my Boer buck
    Charlie and Chaplin - my two bottle baby boys, I know they are a waste of space but I love em and I figure wethers really dont eat much, do they?
    Maddie - I really dont want to sell her on because she's so old and has no teeth, I'm not sure she will be looked after properly
    Possum - she's such a sweetheart, I probably should sell her but she's so friendly, and growing into a nice goat, and she's a good friend for Maddie
    Fiona - oh, I'd love to get rid of this goat, I hate her, but she's my brothers, so nothing I can do about it lol

So - of the ones that I'm selling, you guys would have heard about Vanity - yep, vanity is going to go, Anna (my doe in milk) I've only had her for a little while but I just cant help it, plus a bunch of angoras and the boer bucks.

Sorry for the really long post, I'm just thinking out loud here and its kindof helping me, seeing it all in writing.
  19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, so it bad over there also? I thought it was just the US that was going thou a hard time.

Hang in there Keren, Turn to the lord and talk to him. He is always there and ready to listen. :pray: Hey you think out loud, sometimes that helps you think of other situations.
  20. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Lori, I am trying hard to be thankful, because my goats are alive and well, I could have lost them all in the bushfires, or in a barn fire like the other post I was just reading ...

Yes, it is bad here. People say we are heading for a depression but that is goat poop because we are already in it. Our mining industry which was so strong is laying off people left right and centre. The farming industry, well we are facing our 9th year of ongoing drought this year. It hasnt rained here on our place since 13th December. And then the fires ... thousands of people homeless, hundreds of people dead. The floods in Qld, millions of dollars worth of damage. And we are now having an ex-cyclone beating the crap out of our east coast, more floods and storm damage. Our country is taking a beating in more ways than one