The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

My name's Emily, and I'm so excited that I found this forum. I've been trying to learn everything I can about goats before getting started with them, and I have many questions . . . looking forward to talking goats with everyone! :)

·
Registered
30,117 Posts
welcome to the group!! glad youre here

·
Registered
961 Posts
I love my Nigerian Dwarf goats, they're so cute. They come in so many colors, they're smaller and a bit easier to handle, and they do make some wonderfully delicious milk.

·
GreenTGoats
10,512 Posts
I don't find mine (NDs) scream a whole lot, but I don't think any of my goats are screamers. Everyone says, when they stand there screaming you know they're in heat, and my does don't let out a peep when they're in heat, except the once when the buck was just out of rut and only the wether was paying any attention to her. The was an Alpine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
My Nigerian Dwarfs are pretty quiet, too. And when they do make noise it's usually a low-pitched goat bleat, not really a scream. Honestly, I like to hear them! :) When it's time to put them away at night, and they hear me coming some of them will call out to me. I think it's cute!

One of my bucks makes some weird noises, though - not really sure how to describe it, but it kind of sounds like some man shouting, "Hey, what're you doin'!" and some incomprehensible blubbering. But if you're just looking for pets right now you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Sometimes screaming can be a learned habit - a goat will make a crazy noise, the person gives them some food to keep them quiet, and then goat figures out the process and keeps making the noise to get more food. And I'm sure there are just some 'screamer' goats, too, but I expect you can find some in every breed.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Welcome to TGS! :wave:

If you are serious about wanting milk goats, I would tell you to buy Alpines or Saanens. Nigerian Dwarf Goats are wonderful pets and sometimes good milk goats, but the standard breeds have the milk.

Most Nigerians around here are bred for their blue eyes and pretty colors, not for milk production. They don't often give more than 2 cups of milk a day. Granted, Nigerians give sweeter, creamier milk, but I found my family also loved the good sweet milk from my standard does.

Last spring I had 2 standard does which gave 1.5 gallons of milk a day, and a sweet little ND who gave a quart a day. I spent about the same amount of time milking each goat, (getting each doe on the milkstand, feeding her, milking her, taking her back to the pen), but I was getting 6 times as much milk from the standard does.

Whether you decide on Nigerians or a larger breed, please take the time to find and spend the money on a well bred milker. You will not regret it later. In my experience, a good milk doe should produce about 10% of their body weight in milk a day.

Also, a registered goat's kids tend to sell better. For example, last spring I sold my unregistered doe's kid for $50, and my registered doe's kid for $800. (The unregistered kid was actually much nicer.)

Enjoy the ride!

·
GreenTGoats
10,512 Posts
It really depends on how good the goats you get are. For example, I had an Alpine doe who, as a first freshener, peaked at a quart. I have a Nigerian doe who, at a quarter of the Alpine's size, also peaked at one quart as first freshener. Same amount of work going into each, but less food into the ND.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
It really depends on how good the goats you get are. For example, I had an Alpine doe who, as a first freshener, peaked at a quart. I have a Nigerian doe who, at a quarter of the Alpine's size, also peaked at one quart as first freshener. Same amount of work going into each, but less food into the ND.
Exactly, do yourself a favor and start with the best quality goats you can. It would be a good idea to take an experienced goat owner with you when you go to purchase your first goats. Starting out, I didn't know what to look for, and so was duped into buying a mediocre goat for $300. I sold her a year later for $100.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yes, I bought my nigies from a reputable breeder with milky lines, and I got a half gallon from two goats this morning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts