Very Weak Caesarean baby

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nyjah, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Nyjah

Nyjah Member

Mar 5, 2017
    All my girls were bred at the same time in August so this is a busy baby week....

I found my young mini-lamancha in labor this afternoon, first time mom.

I found a long string of goo falling out and expected a baby any minute. after 30 min her pushing was not progressing, so I took a feel and could feel two feet and a nose. I tried helping her, pushing baby back in etc to no avail, so packed her up to vet.

At vet they tried pulling too, but the baby's head was just too big for her hips. We all helped give her a c-section (my 23 yo son was the vets assistant). Baby was born blue and non-responsive but after fifteen minutes of vigorous rubbing shaking and bothering was breathing some and after half an hour breathing continuously.

after 45 minutes i would hear the occasional squeal.

We have her home now and he gave her some epi, cow immunoglobin and antibiotics but she is really mucosy and extremely weak.

The vet was honest that he didnt have a lot of hope for her, but I figured maybe you guys would have suggestions?

mom seems to be stable and is the upstairs garden tub resting

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Nyjah

Nyjah Member

Mar 5, 2017
    this sounds dumb but would a bit of decongestant help with the congestion in her lungs

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What is the temp of the kid?

Was anything given to mama to knock her out a bit, to do the C-section?
    It could be that is lingering in the kid and needs to wear off.

Maybe a small Bo-se shot.

Nutradrench may help, 1 x a day until stronger.

Fortified vit B complex

Is the baby getting mama's milk?
    Have suck reflex?

Are you sure she isn't a preemie?
    A shot of Dex may help the lungs, if so.

Prayers for the little one.

MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Half cc of B complex orally. Shot of Banamine but keep in mind it will be a very small amount since it is 1cc per 100 lbs. Best to have a 1cc syringe.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Sending prayers to you

MadHouse likes this.
  6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so sorry, I hope baby makes it.

Is temp normal?

We've had some weak kids randomly in the past, usually smallest of triplets that were induced or from very hard deliveries. I give them a shot of Dexamethasone (I give Boer kids 1/4 to 1/2cc).
    I also give them about 1/4 to 1/2cc of B-Complex orally, just putting a little on their tongue at a time.
    This is definitely my go to for saving weak kids, and I honestly believe without it, we would have lost some kids for sure.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I was going to suggest dex but @toth boer goats already did. Has baby had any colostrum? You might have to tube it but that might give it some nourishment and help it perk up. Someone once suggested some strong coffee for a weak kid too. I'm not sure that I'd give more than a couple of cc's though since this little one has had such a rough start.
    Praying the baby gets stronger

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  8. Nyjah

Nyjah Member

Mar 5, 2017
    They gave momma rompam.

to be honest I figured this sweetheart was brain damaged as all night she was barely responsive. I held and kept rubbing her sides and then took her to bed with me.

around 130 I woke up to a very loud, wiggly, hungry baby goat!

she is with mom and making all sorts of racket and I helped her nurse a bit and she has a very strong sucking instinct and gobbled up milk like crazy.

she is having a hard time standing and seems like controlling her right hind and right front is hard, but she can move both and kick pretty hard lol.

she sort of reminds me of a chick who was laying funny in the egg and needs it’s legs splinted. She was a huge single birth so I’m hoping it’s not brain damage or spinal injury due to all the pulling but just needing more getting unfolded.

im astounded that this goat went from blue lips and mostly dead to such a loud vigorous little critter!!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww, so happy to hear, the baby is lively and doing well. :)

You can brace the legs for support.
    So the tendons will be able to go back into shape.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  10. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Great news! Good job.
    Praying the little one continues to grow stronger every hour!

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  11. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Sometimes the kidds look almost double jointed. Their bones are what they call green. By that I mean bendable
    Think about something floating in water for a long time...its bendable. When it dries out it becomes stronger, more rigid. The tendons are loose, bones are green. Just give the little guy 24 hours. You might see a difference.

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Nyjah

Nyjah Member

Mar 5, 2017
    She is up and walking around and a great feeder! Mom is very worried about her and licking and nibbling And calling but will not let her nurse. I’ve been going out and holding mom still every two hours and letting the little one eat for a few minutes.

13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    That's great she is up and around. Hopefully, momma goat comes around. Sometimes it just takes a little time.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  14. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Did they say banamine was ok for mom to have? It might help her be in less pain from the whole thing and let the kid nurse. If moms udder is really full milk out a bit just to soften it. She might be very full and nursing hurts.

goatblessings and GoofyGoat like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Banamine is fine, but not long term.

Glad the baby is doing good. :)

16. JearDOE Ranch

JearDOE Ranch Active Member

Aug 23, 2018
    Kansas
    We've had a few C-section kids and the kids are always kind of dopey and lethargic for a day or two after being born. While normal, you were right to worry. They don't always make it. You should probably check with someone more experienced on this site or with a vet, but our vet suggested administering a shot of epinephrine under the tongue. Just an idea if you have an issue again.

We have given it to two c-section kids, and two that were born on the cold ground and brought back to life in a bathtube and it gives them a jolt is the best way I can describe it.

17. Nyjah

Nyjah Member

Mar 5, 2017
    The vet had tried giving her a bit of epi right away but it didnt seem to do much then. Mom had a bunch of banamine at the vet and he had said it lasts two days so not to give anymore without talking to him.

Yesterday momma finally started letting her nurse! She is still a very odd little thing, lol, but that may be the lamancha, not the c-section. She is very interested in people and always talks with us everytime we go out. She is the loudest, most demanding baby Ive ever had! All the other babies are snuggling and playing together and she is underfoot nibbling on us and yelling at us, hahahaha. The kids all love her, as they each had held her the first evening when things seemed so forlorn.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad things are going good.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  19. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh Happy dance she is doing so well. Make sure she is getting enough milk from mom. All that nibbling and yelling might just be her personality, but do rule out hunger too. check moms udder, make sure it feels health and so forth. If babies tummy is sunken in, good chance not getting enough. Best wishes and PLEASE post a picture ..:p I love Lamanchas and minis are sooooo cute