The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I’m new to goats. I have a background in small animal critical care (vet tech for very ill dogs and cats) and lived on a cattle ranch and have doctored large animals at home but I’ve never been around goats...
I bought a 3 goats from a friend who raises goats and he also gave me a baby that he weaned the day he gave her to me. The baby he told me should be okay on alfalfa. They have been here about a week and she has been less active then the kid still on her mom but eats hay great. Her belly seems to be getting pretty larger though (not bloated) and this morning she was completely week and will only stand if I stand her up. My friend raises lots of goats so I took his advice and didn’t do much research until she got ill. Looking back on pictures from the breeder/my friend I think she is only 5 weeks old so she was weaned too early.
I got her to take a bottle and after a few min of teaching her how to use it she sucked it down (1.5 cups) her fever was 106.4 so I gave her a shot of byomycin (only injectable ab I had because my vet friend told me her goat friends keep it on hand) and banamine. Fever has resolved and is high normal at 103. I’m feeding her every 4 hours (1.5 cups) but she is still very weak. I also gave her a paste with electrolytes and colostrum.
Her stool is some what hard but she has pooped three times today and urinated once so far. Her abdomen is doughy and not full of air. She does seem very thirsty but I’m giving her water slowly as she wants to suck the whole bowl down and I don’t want her to get too much too fast.
the bag of goat milk replacer says she should get 6-8 cups of milk a day but at this point I think she was starving and I don’t want to give her too much to fast.

I feel terrible that I didn’t bottle feed her earlier but my friend that breeds goats kept telling me if she’s eating hay well and active she’s okay. *now she was nursing a tiny bit on the other kids mom but that momma didn’t let her nurse much at all.

Any experienced goat advice would be great. I have a horse vet who is reluctant to treat goats and my small animal vet friends don’t know anything about goats...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
How much does she weigh? What type milk replacer are you giving her? How many days has she been on the bottle? 48 ounces of milk a day or 12 ounces per feeding may actually be overfeeding her. She does not need any more paste with added colostrum. For electrolytes you can use pedialyte in a pinch. What temperature is the replacer heated to that you have been giving her?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She weighs 16.5 lbs. she is getting the DuMor Goat Kid Milk Replacer with all milk proteins. I’ve been mixing it with warm tap water. Not sure if the temp but it’s what I would use fir a puppy, kitten or calf.
I did take her outside to walk around a bit and go potty recently and she pooped twice and urinated once. She walked very gingerly and rubbed on the fence a bit and after 5?min she just turned to walk toward me and fell over. It’s the only walking she’s done all day, before this I could just get her to sand for a few min.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Hi, welcome. The rule of thumb For bottle feedings is 10-12%. of her body weight divided into three or four feedings Of milk. I recommend taking her off the replacer and using whole cows milk From the grocery instead warmed to 100*-101* with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day. Many babies have a really bad time with replacers.
Goats need their milk warmer than humans or dogs or cats.
I'd give her goat electrolytes for 12 hours and switch to milk.

You might want to read these

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/overfeedingnewbo.html
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/healthproblemsKids06.html

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
16.5 lbs x 16 oz = 264 oz ÷ 10% = 26.4 oz ÷ 4 feedings = 6.6 oz per feeding

GoofyGoat posted as I was calculating how much milk to give her. So glad she did, she really knows what she is talking about.

Good luck with the little one. Let us know if you need additional information and also how things are going.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guy! She is a little brighter and stronger, she even tried to get up on her own. Fever hasn’t returned yet and she’s going poop a bunch, so it seems like all that hays starting to move through her. Hopefully she pulls through.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
16.5 lbs x 16 oz = 264 oz ÷ 10% = 26.4 oz ÷ 4 feedings = 6.6 oz per feeding

GoofyGoat posted as I was calculating how much milk to give her. So glad she did, she really knows what she is talking about.

Good luck with the little one. Let us know if you need additional information and also how things are going.
Aw, thanks.
Thanks for doing the calculations it's perfect! The baby need real milk and creep feeding once She's on track.

·
Registered
30,581 Posts
She is ripe age for coccidia...is she on prevention?
I agree about switching over to cows milk. Dumor brand is also bottom of quality pole. It's hard finding really good stuff that she does well on.
To switch her out..replace milk with electrolytes for 12 hours..then begin cows milk at 10 to 12% body weight as shown above...weight x 16 to get weight in oz..then multiply that by 10-12% to see how much per day she needs and divide into 3-4 bottles. A little hay/alfalfa is fine..helps build her rumen along with quality feed to nibble...but she really needs milk for a few more months. Re weigh her every few days and adjust milk amount until she's ready to ween.
Be sure to give antibiotics for 5 full days. Good job on her care thus far...

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't know a lot... but would it be good to try to tie the doe in milk and let her drink so she gets goats milk? Or milk the doe and bottle feed it to the baby if she has enough?

·
Registered
30,581 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I was busy with her and running around a lot yesterday in between getting stuff for her. She’s soooo much better! I met a lady near me who raises goats and I bought fresh goats milk from her. She’s still weak but she’s eating great. Fever hasn’t returned. She goes on slow walks around the yard at her own paces. Slowly she is improving. Stool is normal baby goat stool and her big belly is getting smaller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s weird I never got emails about reply’s after the first one. I’m new to this group so I don’t know if that’s common

1 - 20 of 29 Posts