VERY weird question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Nov 4, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - this is weird but I really am getting concerned so I need to ask.

I have an almost 2 year old Nigerian, 1 year old Boer, and 1 year old Nubian in the buck stalls - all boys. Only one proven is the Nigerian buck. The Boer tries - but not sure if he can "finish" or not and the Nubian has NO clue that he is a boy. I talked to the breeder of the Nubian and his twin is the exact same way - just slow maturers.

Well here is my concern - the Nubian is being "taken advantage of" constantly. I don't have another stall to put him in - and hopefully the 2 boys will be leaving this week or next - but I feel so bad for him. He doesn't fight it or nothing - just stands there. Should I be worried???
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would not be worried. i have a wether that does the same thing. Now maybe he will learn what to do?? :GAAH:

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I wouldn't be too worried about it. . . . but I understand you feeling bad for the poor little guy!! :( Hopefully those "brutes" (jk) leave soon. ;) Our Pygmy buck used to do that all the time, disturbing little booger.
  4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Its VERY disturbing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    nope is what the boys do....practicing on the lowest one in the pecking is annoying to see......for sure.... :sigh:
  6. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I know just how you feel! I have a wether that I was keeping in with the two bucks. Once breeding season started the wether became the object of the bucks "affection". Poor Ringo was so harassed, he stood there looking at me with that deer in the headlights look and ran to the gate every time I was out by the pen. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and put him in the pen with my girls. He has been much happier since he is no longer getting all that unwanted attention.

Unfortunately since your boy is still a boy there is really nothing you can do except to put him into a separate pen. Since you can't do that he's just going to have to put up with it. Hopefully the others will be gone soon and he'll have some peace.
  7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since Hank, my pygmy is so "studly" he only beats the 2 youngsters away from the fenceline, now the "youngsters" are father and son and "practice" with each other quite often!
  8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Actually....I would be a little concerned. I know when any of my bucks try to mount another buck or wether they RUN and don't stop. Is he maybe sick or something or is he bright eyed and looking good. I don't know, I guess I havent' had one goat that just stands there. But it sounds like the other posters have had experience with it and are reassuring you that it's normal. I guess it just sounds really weird to me. I know, i'd be a little concerned it mine were doing that, but again, haven't had experience w/ that before. Is the nubian just kinda slow or ??? He sounds like quite the character. That is a little odd that he's not interested in girls at a year.....just slow to mature.
  9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Our buck wouldn't get off our wether when we first put them together, but after a while the buck figured out that theres not much of a point to it. At first he chased him all over, and we were a bit worried, but now they are best buds and would probably be lost without eachother.