The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Kalopa Mauka
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a relationship with a veterinarian so I can ask for prescriptions for things I want to have on hand (Banamine, Oxytocin, Epinephrine) in case of emergency (at 2 a.m.).

Closest vet is 20 miles away, when I started in with the goats I went in to the vet and gave them all my info and set my dogs up with them also so I would be a patient with a little history there. Our dogs have gone for vaccines and belly aches but I have only used the vet once for a goat (sad ketosis doe, who died even after treatment) and so haven't built up much history.

Any suggestions as to the approach to take to ask for prescriptions? I don't mind paying for a quick office visit - but I hate to load up a goat and drive that far unless she really needs to see the vet.

·
Registered
815 Posts
When I first started going to the vet I use - I had a farm call for a health check on my herd. He checked a couple, said we had a very healthy looking herd of goats and flock of sheep. Gave us his recommendations on worming, shots etc. Spend a little time with us and I felt like it was worth the cost as he knows us now, also that he knows where we live if I called in an emergency.

·
Super Moderator
58,836 Posts
If your vet doesn't do farm calls, I would take the goats in. Once a year 20 miles away is not that bad.

·
14,615 Posts
With the exception of mine being much closer, I am in the same boat. After several years of being able to call & ask for Rx, they wont do it anymore unless a goat is seen once a year.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
It is going to be up to your vet to decide if they want to give you the stuff. I know there are people here that want things from the same Vet I have and they will not give them a bottle of stuff, he told me he knows I know what I am doing so he feels comfortable with it. Building a trust with them is something you are going to have to do.

It is also a new law they told me that they can NOT give you a Rx for anything unless they have seen a animal (goats) in a year. I guess the drug people are making things or trying to make drugs.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
By law they cannot prescribe drugs without physically seeing the animal. We had a great horse vet that understood and prescribed for us. The last time we called him he said he could not do it anymore as he feared losing his license. And he does not see goats so we could not take one in if we wanted to. We finally found a goat vet 30 miles away who charges $65 just to get in the door. And it usually takes 2 weeks to get an appointment. (So a sick goat is a dead goat before we can get in.) We are pretty much on our own doing the best we can without prescription meds meaning for polio we have to use massive amounts of Bcomplex as we can no longer get concentrated B1 and have to use PenG when Nuflor would work better.
The horse vet used to prescribe for us in an emergency but now says he cannot even do that.
Sorry not to have better advice. This is a real sore spot with me.

·
also known as Mayia real life Cheri
1,672 Posts
yeah my vet wants to see each goat for each occurrence - office visit is $125 - None in my area want to see goats and they make it hard to get them taken care of.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Depends on the vet. Its not just about knowing you. The vet will kinda judge your knowledge level before he would be comfortable giving prescription meds. Our vet is a mobile vet so if we need something we wait till he is in the area to drop it by for just the cost of the meds OR if we need it immediately we will pay the farm visit charge just to get his advice. Either way he is here when we get meds from him. All this is of course after having him out the first time for an emergency. Just from the one visit he knew were knew exactly what we were doing, were not going to do anything stupid with the meds and was comfortable.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I agree ^^your vet must be comfortable with you and your knowledge of what you are doing to be able to prescribe any medication.
Its just a shame that in other states there isn't enough knowledgable goat/livestock vets . What i have learned is that when you live in those (dreamy) places where your neighbors are few and far between , you end up regretting it sometimes when the trip to the vet is a road trip.
But i would still love it ;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
The vets are getting their hands tied I think. We have a cat with a problem and I always got her meds easily. The last time I call the vet she said new laws - they had to see the cat yearly to keep the prescription going. I guess I will see that with the farm animals also but so far I probably have at least one farm call a year and my vet does trust my judgement. I'm in Oregon.

·
Kalopa Mauka
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, everyone. I can see why the vet wants to know we know what we are doing and certainly would not want to have a lost license.
I was spoiled by having a close friend/large animal vet before; still in touch - but 3,000 miles away now.
I will try to get a price on a herd check, that sounds better than putting them in the car (I won't do the open bed truck).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I was hoping someone else would know for sure. I got the impression that the law was federal but it may just be state to state with most of them following suit. I will try to look it up.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Heard a story about a vet who lost his license because he gave a farmer some lute and that farmers daughter was giving it to her friends and they were using it as a day after pill kinda thing. I dont think Id hand out meds to often either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts