vet costs?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dan354, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dan354

dan354 Junior Member

Dec 20, 2012
    scioto county Ohio
    I was wondering what the cost is to have a vet come out and do a c-section and some other vet related costs that are associated with raising goats.
    I have always treated my critters humanely and I just want to be somewhat prepared.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Vets vary so much it is hard to say. My one vet is expensive and my C-section bill including the emergency fee and everything was $800. I have another vet that I use and unfortunately had another C-section done and the cost was $350 including emergency fee. So you can guess who I will call if I need another one. I would just call vets and find out their fees.

If you have never used a vet before, I would call them out every once in a while to have a fecal done or send a blood test in or just something. Most vets won't come out on emergencies if you aren't a regular customer. At least in my area they won't.

By the way, you will probably have to take the goat in to the office for a C-section, even if the vet comes out to the farm. Many vets won't operate on the farm because of it not being sterile.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Having a vet in your back pocket is always good insurance as Ksalvagno has said in so many words.
    I once wanted a doe induced. They said I had to bring her in.
    With any surgury they are going to have to have her in the clinic.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.

I would call your vet and ask what it would cost. Round and about. But remember, if something extra is performed, it will cost more than quoted.