The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2 year old kiko doe that has 2 places on her neck that are hairless. at first it looked like ringworm and treated it as such,but as it progressed i decided it wasnt. took her to the vet, she said not ringworm, didnt think it was mange but didnt completely rule it out so she gave her some ivermec sq. lymph nodes in front of shoulders are quite large, she gave her an inj. of 10 day intibiotics for that. these 2 areas develop large lumps that she scratches off. havent found any worms in them but it bothers her non stop scratching and head shaking. the 1st pic is what it looks like early on and the second pic is what it looks like now. i havent seperated from the others and no other goat has it after a month. has anyone seen this before or have any ideas what it might be?

Attachments

·
376 Posts
Wow, that looks terrible! I don't have a clue what it might be. The pictures look like it's moist... or is that medicine on it making it look like it's oozing?
Could she have gotten bitten by a venomous spider or something?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Is there any way to keep that covered? I wonder if it is allergic in nature? Or is it something that starts to heal, but itches and she is keeping it from healing?

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Looks like mites, a deep skin scraping will ID which kind but it really doesnt matter which kind she has, treatment is the same...the second pic seems wet? oozy as cheyenne Said, but still could be mites, now infected...How many times did you use Ivomec? with mites it need to be done SUb Q 3 times one week apart...

·
Registered
72 Posts
you will want to use Ivermectin Plus, once a week, for at least 3 weeks, and soak area with pine tar, or scarlets oil, in about 1 or 2 days should be dry, not oozy. scratching should stop.
it is a form of mange, and it's been a bad year for it, it is effecting many animals dogs, goats, ect. if it keeps spreading may need to Ivermet longer. mange can be difficult to control,

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Does the raw place have any smell? Did the doe have any kind of injury on her neck prior to the development of this? If you look closely, can you see movement in the area? If so, you are probably dealing with screw worms.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
it is a form of mange
Yes..that is a possability as well...treatment is the same..wont hurt to try : )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'd like to thank everyone for their input. i should have mentioned in my first post that the wet look is aloe vera gel thats the only thing that she will leave on. when this 1st started i as using bleach ,then tried formalin, then iodine and it just kept spreading.the vet also gave me some stuff to put on it, but as soon as i put anything on it she goes to a dirt pile and rubs it off,except for the aloe.vet thought it might be a skin bacteria due to the enlarged lymph nodes.wed was her 1st dose of ivermec,lymph nodes are still swollen, but it doesnt seem to be spreading or getting any worse. i should also mention this is a new doe from Ok.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I dont know what to tell you how long have you had her? there is an aloe based soap that might help called aloe vesta. you just wipe it on and then wipe it off no rinsing needed it is supposed to work on dog hot spots so i'm giving it a tryon my dog. the pictures of your goat looks very similar to hot spots. you said aloe seems to help so maybe this soap will help. you also might try sulfadene also a dog product but it does work on skin infections. i'm surprised your vet didnt try steroids. i looked at pictures of skin diseases of goats on line it looks like it might be staph or mites. look on that page you know what it looks like better than we do. if it doesnt heal you vet will have to test for Scrapie.

·
1,983 Posts
If it were staph you do not want to use aloe based products on it. Aloe seals in infection. Try the chlohexidine or iodine and see if it clears. Or you can try a yogurt wash, plain ol yogurt put it on a few times a day.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I would continue the Ivomec, giving another dose Wednesday...I would wash the area with a weak iodine and water mix to cleans and disinfect a few times a day..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts