Vet Question

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by GSFarm, Dec 12, 2007.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    As I got to thinking about my future and everything I couldn't find any info pertaning to a question of mine, so I thought I'd check here.

Say I decided to go to school to be a Vet Tech. Then I got a family and all and decided I wanted to be a Vet. Since I already went to school for 5 semesters for Vet Tech would that go toward being a vet at all? Would my credits transfer? Or would I have to go through vet school for eight whole years plus the 5 semesters for Vet Tech?

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I think that depends on the school and what courses they have in common. I bet that some of the vet tech stuff is very different than the basics for a vet- the orientation would be much less practical than for a tech. I think you need to ask the adviser at your current school.

3. bee_pipes

bee_pipes New Member

Wow - wish there was a quick yes/no answer, but as with most things in life, the answer is "depends".

It depends on the school you go to for vet tech, and the school you go to fro vetrinarian (sp?). First off, the course of study for vet tech will probably include classes that appear in the vet course of study. Those should transfer, if it is the same school. Classes for vet tech that are not part of the vet course may transfer as electives.

Also, how long between vet tech and vet? The school may change.

You can drive yourself nuts with this before even getting started. Just check out prospective schools and check for credit transfer. The final source of such answers will be a guidance/career counselor.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you!

Regards,
    Pat

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    When Brad looked into this, UT required a Bachelor's degree and then vet school was 4 years. So as said above, it depends on how credits transfer. I know alot of people do prevet classes in their undergraduate.

5. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    I was looking at doing the same thing but found that what Techs learn and what vets learn is very different. I was planning on going to college as a veterinarian and get my vet tech certificate online othrough the college. That way, I wont have to take 8 years and 5 semesters.

CJ

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    OK - here is a couple things for you to think about.

I am in Washington, but have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 7 years, all over. I have worked in Turkey (was married to a vet), Mississippi, and Washington.

Vet assistants, nurses, and techs all have different applications inside the hospital - HOWEVER, the pay is almost exactly the same. Everywhere that I had worked as a tech or a nurse, the pay was aweful, no benifits - as most places are a single doctor practice, and if they do offer medical insurance it is very expensive and not very good insurance.

To go to Vet school, as least at WSU, you must have all prereqs and your BA completed. You must also apply, be accepted and one of the requirements is 1 year of work inside a clinic.

Now I work at a college in advising, and the BEST thing that I can tell you is that you need to talk to the college that you want your vet degree from and see if there is a cap between when you received credits from the tech degree. Some times the college will let you use credits from 20 years ago - but for some programs there is a cap of so many years.

Also you would need to ask the registrar at the University for the vet degree and ask if they accept credits from the school that you are planning on receiving your tech degree from. They do not have to accept any credits from any other institution if they do not want to.

Hope this helps. If you need additional info - you can pm me.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    GSFarm...I was told by my local vet that going to school for a vet tech made no difference to him, not sure why but he said that in his clinic we have to work our way up to vet tech. I too was going to do a vet tech study until I learned that he didn't really care about that. I know it isn't like that everywhere but I was just shring my experience. I am not sure about the credits transferring, I would call a college and ask them.