The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very sick 2 yr old French Alpine doe who had her 1st and only kid on June 21st. Unsuccessful breeding attempts prior to this. She was fine the first month, then within 2-3 days her milk supply diminished and she was very weak. We gave her penicillin then took her to the vet the next day. They gave her a week long penicillin and probiotic. She initially seemed to improve, but then got worse. I had a different vet come. At this point her abdomen was full of fluid and she was septic. Her stool was clear liquid. On Thursday, he treated her again and prescribed twice a day penicillin, probiotic, electrolytes, nutridrench, and thiamine. He also did a fecal. No coccidiosis.
5 days later, her stool is now dark diarrhea, but she hardly eats and is so weak, I'm afraid she is starving to death. She gets up only for minutes at a time, then needs rest. What else can I do?

·
14,615 Posts
Sorry you are dealing with this. She sounds very, very sick.
She was tested for content & found to be septic?

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Sounds like Acidosis...

I would give her C D Antitoxin...20 cc at least..I would give it every 6 hours day one and every 12 after that until she is better..
1 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench...
No feed
Hay and green leaves only...
If she will not eat..you can make a mush of alfalfa pellets and water and use a turkey baster to feed
she needs to be hydratated
recipe for electros to follow
A healthy dose of Probos
and a good dose of Pepto
if there is no fever..no snotty nose or cough, no infection ...I would be hesitant to give antibiotics while her rumen is off line

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/ruminalacidosis.html

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Sorry to hear that. La200 would be my first choice for an issue like that. I've never heard of clear feces, I wouldn't know how to handle that part.

Try to give her Kaopectate just to stop the diarrhea for now. Too much water loss is deadly.

Once they go septic there isn't much you can do, high mortality rate with sepsis if its in the bloodstream.

Hope she pulls out of it. :hug:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them tomorrow. The vet just looked at her gums and said she was septic. I was just reading up on Johnes disease. I bought this goat and a Swiss Alpine from the same breeder 2 years ago. They both have appeared malnutritioned while our other goats thrive. I hope the other doe isn't destined for the same fate. I will have them and their kids all tested.

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
Testing is very wise for both CAE and Johnes...
I have a doe who a few years ago who was down with acidosis..much like your gal..laying in a puddle of watery poop..too weak to stand very long..eye sunken do to dehydration, rumen shutting down, sloshy gut...My vet gave IV fluids...but didn't leave much hope...I gave her everything I suggested for your gal..she is with me today..kidded three times since : ) so there is hope, even now, but action needs to be taken now, morning might be too late.....

I wish you all the best...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts