The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very sick 2 yr old French Alpine doe who had her 1st and only kid on June 21st. Unsuccessful breeding attempts prior to this. She was fine the first month, then within 2-3 days her milk supply diminished and she was very weak. We gave her penicillin then took her to the vet the next day. They gave her a week long penicillin and probiotic. She initially seemed to improve, but then got worse. I had a different vet come. At this point her abdomen was full of fluid and she was septic. Her stool was clear liquid. On Thursday, he treated her again and prescribed twice a day penicillin, probiotic, electrolytes, nutridrench, and thiamine. He also did a fecal. No coccidiosis.
5 days later, her stool is now dark diarrhea, but she hardly eats and is so weak, I'm afraid she is starving to death. She gets up only for minutes at a time, then needs rest. What else can I do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them tomorrow. The vet just looked at her gums and said she was septic. I was just reading up on Johnes disease. I bought this goat and a Swiss Alpine from the same breeder 2 years ago. They both have appeared malnutritioned while our other goats thrive. I hope the other doe isn't destined for the same fate. I will have them and their kids all tested.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.