The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,380 Posts
Sounds like Acidosis...

I would give her C D Antitoxin...20 cc at least..I would give it every 6 hours day one and every 12 after that until she is better..
1 teaspoon baking soda in enough water to drench...
No feed
Hay and green leaves only...
If she will not eat..you can make a mush of alfalfa pellets and water and use a turkey baster to feed
she needs to be hydratated
recipe for electros to follow
A healthy dose of Probos
and a good dose of Pepto
if there is no fever..no snotty nose or cough, no infection ...I would be hesitant to give antibiotics while her rumen is off line

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/ruminalacidosis.html

·
Super Moderator
36,380 Posts
Testing is very wise for both CAE and Johnes...
I have a doe who a few years ago who was down with acidosis..much like your gal..laying in a puddle of watery poop..too weak to stand very long..eye sunken do to dehydration, rumen shutting down, sloshy gut...My vet gave IV fluids...but didn't leave much hope...I gave her everything I suggested for your gal..she is with me today..kidded three times since : ) so there is hope, even now, but action needs to be taken now, morning might be too late.....

I wish you all the best...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.