Vet was here...Now I'm really worried!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Tog Lovers, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    As I stated in an earlier post our vet said he would disbud our little buckling (10 days old today) for us. We thought this was a good idea. So today when he gets here he said it would be best and less traumatic for the little guy if he put him to sleep to do it. I was absolutely shocked!!! He said he always does it that way and has not had any trouble. When I said that I thought goats didn't do well when put to sleep he said thats just not true today. I'm not sure now what to do. :shrug: He is coming here on Monday to do it. Today he gave the buckling a shot of what he called an 8 way cluster. Said it was more than just the CD/T. This vet comes very highly recommended. The two times he has been here he was very proffessional and seems to know what he doing and what to be looking for with all our animals. Am I just being an overprotective mommy? Does anyone have any information about putting goats to sleep?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I personally would not put a goat out for disbudding. I know that some people have no problems with it. I just don't like doing it to something so young.

I think the shot he gave him is a sheep vaccine. Some people give it to goats but I don't.

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    My vet was just here yesterday to help me learn to disbud my kids. She said she could give them anesthesia, but that they would be fine without it. And since the goal was for me to be able to do it...I would not be giving them anesthesia so we could skip that. We gave a shot of CDT and Bo-Se and Banamine for pain and swelling. She did the first one and then handed me the disbudding tool and said "your turn"! I was so nervous...but after the first couple (we did 7) I was better.

So, it's probably OK to give the anesthesia, but not entirely necessary. My vet said some are giving a little Valium, to just take the "edge off", but we didn't do that either. My little guys and girls are all playing today as if nothing happened.

Don't feel bad about asking your vet questions. He should be ok with it. And you need to be informed! Are you going to eventually do this yourself? It's really not as bad as I envisioned. I had myself all in a "dither" Wed. worrying about it. I feel comfident I can do it myself (with a little help from my DIL, who was there watching and filming!). Thanks M! Anyway, be calm, it will be alright! Good luck, Di

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The 8 way was probably Covexin8- my vet recommends to too as he said that it covers more of the clostridium types than CD&T does. But it does cover somthing that goats don't ever get too I think.
    One of the things I would worry about was if the vet is doing it at you place, he is probably not going to stick around to make sure the little guy comes out of it alright. I have heard that sometimes that is the problem. I think I would rather take one to the clinic where I can wait around til everythings OK. I would ask the vet if he does goats often.
    My vet said there is an anathesia that is very good for goats so maybe that is it. Also a tetnus antitoxin is given here when disbudding as it is a problem in our area. I've heard that vaccinations do not work in immature goat immunity systems- that they have to be about 8 weeks for that to create an immunity boost. So a vaccination given that young a goat would not protect angainst tetnus.

5. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i think the shot was covexin 8 to. i always used that when i was in maine. the thing i don't like about it over cd/t is you almost always get a lump at the injection site. i believe it is called black leg(or something like that) when i was in maine my vet had to put a couple of my goats under but he would also give them a reversal shot so they were up & moving before he left but never had one so you be put under. last year i did have a 2 day old alpine doe that spiked a temp of 109.8 they vet did give her some valume or some thing like it to keep her from getting to stressed out. she is doing great now with no effect of the high temp. i would say if that is how that vet does it & has done it before then i would not worry to much.

6. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Thank you all so much. I was really worring too much I think. This vet covers plenty of farms with goats so it should be ok. He is going to do it here as he doesn't have an actual office. He's a good old fashioned vet that works out of his truck. He feels the animals are more comfortable at home instead of being drug someplace unfamiliar. I will def. make sure he stays until the little guy wakes up.

I can't thank everone here enough. The advice and reassurement is very comforting. Bringing this little one home has been a wonderfull experience mostly because when we aren't sure about something we have all of you wonderfull people to turn to.

Rich & Dee

7. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    Is valium for you or the goat :ROFL:

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Very funny! Did the vet come and do the disbudding? How'd it go?

9. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    :ROFL: Hubby would have needed the valium! He isn't very good with medical stuff.

The Vet was here Monday and did the disbudding. All went well. So far I haven't seen any ill effects. It was pretty funny watching him try to get up and jump around Monday evening. He looked drunk. But he is back to eating normal. His haircut makes him look like a tough guy. The vet shaved the top of his head from the ridge above his eyes back. :lol:

Today he had a runny poo. Just one so far so we will see. I'm going to go ahead and give him some Pepto later. I figure 3cc would be about right.