Vets for goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Trace, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Why is it so hard to find a vet that treats goats?

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

The obvious reason is that goats aren't popular enough (in the states) to justify spending funding at colleges to develop studies related to goats or for students to take goat science knowing their job outlooks will be limited. Plus, "most" people who have goats are not concerned with health, development, proper breeding, and registration or showing. "Most" just have them as field ornaments and when one gets sick or passes away they don't consider it a huge loss - it's "just" a goat.

But who cares! They are similar to so many animals, but with their own differences. It cannot be THAT hard to become familiar with their needs and anatomy right?? I am a pre-vet student and I am on the hunt for goat related research and classes.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, they say there is not enough money in the field. I will say when you can find a vet that does treat goats, they are worth their weight in gold, that is for sure.

I am lucky to say that we are blessed to have a GREAT one. One of the best in CO. :leap: :clap:

4. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Well I just lucked out and from recomendation from one of my horse forums found one in the next town over that treats horses dogs and goats!!!!!

And she graduation in 07 so she will be very up to date with her knowledge.

Yea!!!!!!!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.... :wink: :greengrin:

I am so glad ...you found a goat vet...that is wonderful news...... :thumbup:

6. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Yes - I am glad - I can;t wait to meet her - and to see how she is - wouldn;t it be wonderful to have one goat to do the goats, dogs and horse!!!!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL ..I know you meant ..vet instead of goat... :wink: Yes... it would be nice..... :greengrin:
    :greengrin:

8. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    LOL - is there a Border Collie equivilent in the goat world - maybe they could vet the gots for s. LOLOLOL

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL...I don't know... :greengrin: :ROFL:

10. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    I feel lucky because our Vet grew up on an angora ranch in Texas and knows a lot about goats. That being said, Doc Jonas calls me to find out what the latest treatments for various ailments are. He is the on-call Vet for the Leon Co. Fair and gets many calls from 4H & FFA Youngsters who are raising goats and sheeep for their fair projects. We have two Vets in Freestone Co. that know about goats and if they can't figure it out then they aren't afraid to get on the phone and call a Texas A&M Aggie Vet school and figure it out. All three are grads of Texas A&M and are the best that I have known. That school trains the best.

11. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    We have a great vet about 25 min from me. He knows goats and will talk you through a lot of problems right over the phone and save you a vist.