The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This girl is driving me nuts! She won't take the nipple. I've tried almost every thing to get her to take the nipple. I have to force her mouth open and cram the nipple in and she screams every time I do. I tried Covering her head like she was under a doe. I tried putting back with her dam. I tried laying her down. I tried just offering her the nipple. NOTHING IS WORKING!!! She will eat very vigorously if I put the nipple in her mouth but she won't take the nipple on her own. She also backs up when I try to put the nipple in her mouth. She thumps me for milk and will take my finger and suckl on it. I've even tried 3 different nipples and her dam!

Anybody have any ideas on how to get her to take the nipple? She's 48 hours old now she runs and plays with her brothers. And is a love bug she just drives me nuts! It sounds like I'm killing her every time I feed her.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
It seems to me as if she actually gets enough food to live and jump? I think that this little lady has simply not learnt how it works. She wishes to get milk, and tries to tell you, but for some reason she does not understand how to get it, am I right?

I use to sit down and take the unwilling (or exhausted) kid in my lap, her head to my left and bottle in my right hand. (Reverse if you find it more comfortable!) I support her head to my chest, my left hand under her chin, and mildly force my left thumb and forefinger into the corners of her mouth. She will then scream, and I use the opportunity when her mouth is open to fill it with the nipple. "It sounds like I'm killing her" ... Yes, you are doing it right! Support the nipple with the same fingers, outside her mouth, so she cannot spit it out! (Often the next sound is a Gobble-Gobble when she tries to continue screaming with milk in her mouth!) Once she feels the milk in her mouth, at least she swallows, I hope?? Otherwise check that she swallows before forcing in another drop.

As soon as she gets stronger, she will hopefully suck herself. Now, your kid is so strong that she does jump and dance, was it so? Then I guess it might be a struggle each time if she really does not want to. But it is drink or starve, nothing else available (except intravenous!) for her. This little lady is probably too old for the Touch Forehead trick, but her forehead will touch your chest with this method.

Oh, yes, sometimes it is a real struggle! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems to me as if she actually gets enough food to live and jump? I think that this little lady has simply not learnt how it works. She wishes to get milk, and tries to tell you, but for some reason she does not understand how to get it, am I right?

I use to sit down and take the unwilling (or exhausted) kid in my lap, her head to my left and bottle in my right hand. (Reverse if you find it more comfortable!) I support her head to my chest, my left hand under her chin, and mildly force my left thumb and forefinger into the corners of her mouth. She will then scream, and I use the opportunity when her mouth is open to fill it with the nipple. "It sounds like I'm killing her" ... Yes, you are doing it right! Support the nipple with the same fingers, outside her mouth, so she cannot spit it out! (Often the next sound is a Gobble-Gobble when she tries to continue screaming with milk in her mouth!) Once she feels the milk in her mouth, at least she swallows, I hope?? Otherwise check that she swallows before forcing in another drop.

As soon as she gets stronger, she will hopefully suck herself. Now, your kid is so strong that she does jump and dance, was it so? Then I guess it might be a struggle each time if she really does not want to. But it is drink or starve, nothing else available (except intravenous!) for her. This little lady is probably too old for the Touch Forehead trick, but her forehead will touch your chest with this method.
After she feels the nipple in her mouth she suckls and stops screaming. She eats 5-10 oz of milk every 4 hours. And yes she is very playful and loves to jump on everything. It's just that she won't put the nipple in her mouth.

My sister tried feeding her and she took the nipple for her so now I'm wondering if it's just me? I seem to be her favorite person in the house and she looks to me as her mother. So I have no idea why she won't take it from me?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you tried a regular baby bottle? My kids couldn't get used to the lamb and kid nipple sold at TSC. I never tried the Pritchard nipple. Trollmor has good advice about holding your kid and using your fingers at the back of the mouth to force it open. I also used my left hand to support the kid's chin and to keep the nipple stable. You have to keep the nipple in place for the kid to wrap her tongue around it. I have never tried to feed a kid standing up until I had been feeding it long enough for the kid to understand that the bottle is where food comes from. After a few weeks you won't be able to walk with the bottle in your hand without it trying to latch on before you are ready to give it to them. Be patient, you're asking an awful lot from a baby that doesn't have a momma of the same species.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ask your sister what exactly she did. This year I had one that did the same thing, just slow in the head on actually latching on. It took probably 4 days before she realized she gets her bottle faster when she latches on. I had 2 other babies and I started out trying to give to her, when she was stupid I moved onto the other two and fed them and then came back to her and forced it in her mouth and same as yours she would eat. She was just a bit slow on putting 1 and 1 together

·
Registered
251 Posts
This girl is driving me nuts! She won't take the nipple. I've tried almost every thing to get her to take the nipple. I have to force her mouth open and cram the nipple in and she screams every time I do. I tried Covering her head like she was under a doe. I tried putting back with her dam. I tried laying her down. I tried just offering her the nipple. NOTHING IS WORKING!!! She will eat very vigorously if I put the nipple in her mouth but she won't take the nipple on her own. She also backs up when I try to put the nipple in her mouth. She thumps me for milk and will take my finger and suckl on it. I've even tried 3 different nipples and her dam!

Anybody have any ideas on how to get her to take the nipple? She's 48 hours old now she runs and plays with her brothers. And is a love bug she just drives me nuts! It sounds like I'm killing her every time I feed her.

·
Registered
251 Posts

I just thought using molasses on nipple helps! I am also wondering if the mom has a deficiency that may causes this to be a pain problem? Like minerals etc. As I find it hard to think a goat can be in pain without having an issue. I thinking like humans who are born with tongue tied & / or jaw stiffness. Just wondering
If someone has studied this?. Thanks

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
If you mean a sore teat, that makes the mother refuse to give the nipple? That is usually because of a wound because of the kid's teeth. But maybe this is not at all what you talk about?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just thought using molasses on nipple helps! I am also wondering if the mom has a deficiency that may causes this to be a pain problem? Like minerals etc. As I find it hard to think a goat can be in pain without having an issue. I thinking like humans who are born with tongue tied & / or jaw stiffness. Just wondering
If someone has studied this?. Thanks
Oh no I meant the baby feeling pain and not able or not wanting to drink from his mom &/or refusing bottle.
(I was just wondering not just this baby but goat babies in general that have this problem maybe a temporary problem with tongue or jaw. This is just me
Wondering. I guess i am off topic, sorry)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thank you everybody for sharing your experiences and giving advice! I think I've figured her out! I have to lay her down and put her in my armpit and put the nipple to her nose and she will take the nipple.
Thank goodness you and your kid have found a position that works for both of you. She will bond with you and when she does she will follow you like a puppy. The boys I bottle fed are both grown, 2 and 3 years old this year. They still run to me any time I'm in their pasture to nuzzle and "taste" my fingers. I read that goats have better long term memory for mother/child relationship than most small animals. The article I read but unable to cite reported does having attachment to their kids and they will allow their yearlings follow and browse with them even when they have a new kid. There have been some incidences where the doe preferred the yearling over her new kid. I don't have any personal experiences to back this up but I would be interested in hearing from other folks that have long term experience with goats and have they found this to be true. Sorry to get a little off track. Hope your little one continues to thrive.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Oh no I meant the baby feeling pain and not able or not wanting to drink from his mom &/or refusing bottle.
(I was just wondering not just this baby but goat babies in general that have this problem maybe a temporary problem with tongue or jaw. This is just me
Wondering. I guess i am off topic, sorry)
Of course, if the mouth is sore, the kid will not want to suckle. One person I have met put undiluted Vitamin B into the mouth of newborn lambs, and rejoiced that the lamb lifted its head. I am grown up, and that Vitamin B makes my mouth sore if I forget to dilute it. So not much is needed to make a kid's mouth sore for a while. (But, of course, now we know that an armpit can be the solution! :D )

1 - 20 of 54 Posts