The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I need help on trying to decide if my does are in heat. One is a year old pygmy and the other is a year old nigerian dwarf. I have them right next to the buck pen and he's constantly showing interest in them. So the other day I put him in with the girls and he's blubbering and calling to them but my does aren't showing any interest in him. And I thought the one was in heat but every time he tried to mount her she would run away. Could some one tell me what I'm looking for,or dose any one have any pics of their rear of what it should look like? And is this common for virgin does to run from the buck?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I don't think its common. I have the main pen with the buck next to my doelings andwhen they come into heat they tease the crap oout of him. I also had a ton of never bred doelings I had bred this year and they were total 'pick me pick me'
If your keeping the buck away from the girls because you want a for sure due date you can get a breeding harness or since there is only 2 I learned a cool trick off here from someone........sorry I don't remember who you were :( .......but someone on here told be how they back chalk I think it was called it should be in any livestock supplyer its just for simply marking animals. But any ways they get that marker thing and make a line down the doe from the hips to the tail....just a straight line then when the buck breeds he smears it all over the place. I tried it with one of my does when I had her penned with the buck but didn't want to waist a whole breeding harness marker thing and it worked very well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I'll have to try the chalk. But I'm getting frustrated because my pygmy doe has discharge coming from her rear but she isn't flagging her tail or calling out or showing any normal signs of being in heat. One of the local farmers said I should hold her and allow the buck to breed her. Have any of you guys tried this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.