Virgin Milker?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nubiansrus, May 20, 2009.

1. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I had someone come to me off another site, and she said someone sold her a goat that they said wasnt ever breed, but she produces enough milk that she has a very large uncomfortable udder, so shes been milking her. They called her a virgin milker, could this be true? Ive never heard of it but I am "newer" to goats.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum wasnt sure were to put it.

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've also heard them called Maiden Milkers, or precocious milkers. Yes it is true and I have had several. I had one yearling doe she was a mix of Saanen and LaMancha that was giving 5 lbs a day before she was bred(I had to milk her because she was so huge) I sold her and after freshening for her new owners she is now giving 11-12 lbs a day as a first freshener :) Does from heavier milking lines tend to be precocious.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow......Sarah.......that is a milker......that's alot.......... :shocked: :wink: :greengrin:

4. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    And the milk is no different, or unsafe for drinking then any other doe right? I ask because the person coming to me with this doe this is what she asked me.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    It depends if she is actually giving milk. I've had a few maiden milkers that gave something more along the lines of fluid than milk(no, they did not have mastitis) May(the doe mentioned above) was the only one who had milk. But even the ones who had more fluidy type stuff, it tasted all right for drinking.

So to answer your question yes it can be drunk.

6. Nubiansrus

Nubiansrus New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Thank you I appreciate your quick answers. Very interesting.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sarah......thanks for the info......I never knew.... it was like that..... :wink:

8. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Wow, that's cool...But WIERD! O.O

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree....... Dreamchaser :wink: :greengrin:

10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    It would be awesome in a way, because you might not have to freshen her. So you wouldn't have to get a stud goat. Free milk! LOL

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL......that's a good way to look at it :wink: :thumbup:

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have a doe like that right now...haven't had to milk her though...her udder isn't very big at this point.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

most precococious does dont have a lot of milk. Their body isnt really telling them to make it because they arnt suporting a kid. The first thing i do when i have a prococious doe is test her for mastits. If im in the clear i usually try and dry her off because its not worth the effort to keep a doe in milk who isnt producing much.
    If she is bursting at the seams, definatly milk her. I dont know if it would be normal milk compaired to a doe who has freshened before. I would definatly first test for mastits though. Nearly every does i have ever had with a precocious udder has had it.
    beth

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ