Virtual school sucks

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by MidnightRavenFarm, Sep 23, 2020.

1. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    IMG_3841.jpg I wish they would teach us parents algebra before they expect us to teach our kids lol

Sfgwife likes this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

There I agree 100% especially trignometry and geometry.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Fun. I don't envy parents with kids at home learning.

4. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Try using the app Photomath. You can either take a pic of the problem or type it in. It’s very handy because it not only solves the problem, but also shows you how to solve the problem.
    Sometimes though it won’t have the choice that your looking for, in which case you’ll have to stick to YouTube videos. Lol
    I’m homeschooled all the time. Never set a foot in a public school. It’s hard, but it’s totally worth it!
    Also is that algebra 1?

5. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    There is also Khan Academy. It has videos that are supposed to be helpful. The teachers hate virtual school also. I am soooo happy to have most of my kids back!!

6. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Yea that’s algebra 1. My daughter finally got to go to back to school, and then three days later she had to be quarantined for 14 days because someone in her class had covid.

7. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    The only time geometry has come in handy in college is when playing pool

Sfgwife likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh Khan academy is the best website, (barring this one of course:D). They have everything on there that you could want to learn in easy to understand format. I highly recommend it!

10. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Is it for 9th graders? It’s hard here to do a lot online because internet isn’t available. So I have the ten gbs each month on straight talk to use hotspot which is how we do virtual. But it doesn’t last long

11. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Has anyone here ever had a kid diagnosed with lupus?

12. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

It can be for anyone! Just search for the subject matter you are looking for or here's the link to the highschool geometry section: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/geometry

13. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Tell that to the thousands of other people who think it's selfish to open any schools before this virus is gone or we have a vaccine in hand. We have been distance learning since the start of the year (well technically since the shutdown in March but still) i can't focus any more, i can't think straight, I have no energy or motivation any more, I cried twice yesterday and haven't been sleeping well the past few weeks... Mentally I'm shutting down, I'm trying but I don't know how much longer I can manage. I love my kids but I started having melt downs with just 1 on independent study, we changed schools the start of last year because the charter school they where at refused to help us, and for everyone's mental well-being i needed him back in a classroom. I'm honestly to the point in about to tell the teachers I don't care any more. If they don't complete something because I can't deal with the stress anymore, and it's starting to effect my kids.

MidnightRavenFarm and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    I’m so sorry your having a rough time. A lot of parents feel the same way. Since March my son has gone to school for about 10 days so it’s been a long year. I completely sympathize with what your going through. It’s enough to make anyone crazy. A lot of parents around here refuse to do the work anymore so they are actually sending school staff door to door doing home visits seeing why kids aren’t doing the work. The teachers around here are no help. They say “I’m here anytime you have questions” yet never return messages or emails. I know there are some great teachers who are trying their best but a lot of students are falling through the cracks

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Here our kids go to school every second day and start the year end assessments on Monday. It will last till Dec 15th. She is in 4th grade

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Remember that show "Are you smarter than a fifth grader"? I am not. :bonk::ahh:(headsmash)
    My grandson is having a terrible time with this online crap. He had a tutor because of some special needs and is just not getting this online learning. The school won't do the tutor stuff because it is "inconvenient" for the teachers.
    These kids are going to be so far behind. Then they just quit, because they can't understand what they are supposed to be learning.

Why do all these computer classes require passwords. Every site the teacher wants them to go to requires a different password..

My solution- books and work books. Work sheets. Pencil and paper. Forget all the computer bologna! Open your book, read the chapter, answer the questions. Test on Thurs. Nooooo, they have to play on the stupid computer sites. And learn New Math. What happened to the good old regular math? :D

17. MidnightRavenFarm

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Yessssssse I would much rather have book work. My daughter is in ninth grade and the assignments they are assigning to her seem so political. They made her watch an hour long video pretty much talking about how Trump is allowing police brutality

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  18. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    See if you can request a work packet. One of our teachers told me it was an option. I know it probably depends on the school. But I finally emailed the teachers and basically told them to please be understanding of missing work but I'm to stressed out to manage this any more, and it's too stressful on them. I told them I would make sure the kids where in zoom classes but beyond that I wasn't going to stress myself out then any more.

Because of the learning guidelines the state put out the teachers have to see our talk to the kids everyday whether by zoom, phone, or in person. But because of our area even though the schools have don't great with get computers and hotspot routers there are still some that access is still too limited. So if the family has a need the school is providing work packets, weekly meetings, and daily phone calls to help them keep up.

I feel like if you just told the teacher, or staff this is to much they would at least be understanding even if they aren't able to accommodate a change. My middle son doesn't like typing right now and though I haven't convinced him to do so the teacher agreed that on the writing assignments he could write them on paper and submit pictures instead. The schools should still have access to most of the books they are using so you should certainly be able to get work books for some of the assignments.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  19. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Absolutely talk to the teachers and tell them what your problems are. We can't help if we don't know and the teacher might be able to tell you easier ways to get things done. Also sometimes we have no way to see what the parents and students are seeing. Some parents have sent me screenshots of what they see and that helps me know how to make things easier for the kids. I am happy to say that I will only have 2 students left online starting Monday!! The rest are wearing masks and sitting behind "sneeze guards," but they will be in my classroom with me!!

Iluvlilly! likes this.