The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with this? I was considering ordering it to give to a few of my goats who will be shown and have weak pasterns to see if it helps at all, and give a supplement before breeding/after kidding/to new kids etc. It would be nice to not have to go through the hassle of getting the injection from the vet and not having to give an injection when I don't have to to! But I have a couple questions:

1. How long does each supplement last? One reviewer said the directions say to give every 30 days. I would imagine that would get expensive after a while!

2. How well do the goats respond to it?

3. How much do you give and how long does each tube last? Is it worth getting?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Good questions. I would also like to know these answers and also if it can be given to pregnant does. What if we have selenium in the sweet feed we give? How do we know if we should give it?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I have used it. It is supposed to be given once a month. I got it for my breeding clan, but couldn't use it on my bucks this time around, as it is supposed to be given to them at least 45 days before you want to breed, due to it doing something to their sperm. (Can't remember off the top of my head why, but more bucklings are born I think??) I don't give it once a month, but will give it to my bucks 45 days before breeding next year, and to my does right before breeding, and after they kid as well for the added boost. It's like a BoSe shot but without the injection. None of my girls liked it, so it was kind of a fight, but not too bad... I've heard good things about it. I got this along with the vit B-12 tube ad well. I did notice a shinier coat on them:) Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Good questions. I would also like to know these answers and also if it can be given to pregnant does. What if we have selenium in the sweet feed we give? How do we know if we should give it?
I'm in a very selenium deficient area, and I feed my girls grain that had sel in it, as well as loose minerals. I going to just use it right before breeding, and right after kidding, just like you would a BoSe shot. Just follow the directions as per the amount. It says once a month, but I would think you could easily overdose with it then.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does is HAVE to be given once a month? Or could I do is as needed?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Does is HAVE to be given once a month? Or could I do is as needed?
No, I wouldn't give it once a month, I would be afraid of an overdose. Just at those times like right before breeding and right after kidding, that is just my recommendation though.... I give feed with sel in it as well as loose minerals. I just wanna give them the added boost is all:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool. Thanks. What's the dosage on this?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
5ml's per 120lbs (equivalant of 3cc of Bo-Se)

Safe for pregnant does, give about 2 weeks before kidding. Give it to bucks a bit in advance of breeding season, give to does at breeding season. Do not give it every month, it can build up to a toxic amount, selenium has a narrow saftey margin.
You can give it twice a year, just like the Bo-Se shots (since 5ml is the same as 3cc of the shot, it's the same as doing the shot, which you certainly don't do every month)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Lacie, and Janeen, I thought once a month sounded a little excessive!! I don't think the does will get it before kidding season, I just switched bank accounts and I am not sure my debit card will get here before I start breeding the does, but since it is ok for preggers I will just order it whenever my debit card gets here... :lol:

Also, I thought CC and MLS were the same? My mom (a nurse) said so anyways.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
5ml's per 120lbs (equivalant of 3cc of Bo-Se) Safe for pregnant does, give about 2 weeks before kidding. Give it to bucks a bit in advance of breeding season, give to does at breeding season. Do not give it every month, it can build up to a toxic amount, selenium has a narrow saftey margin. You can give it twice a year, just like the Bo-Se shots (since 5ml is the same as 3cc of the shot, it's the same as doing the shot, which you certainly don't do every month)
Before kidding? Okay will do. I just thought it was right after kidding, before works too. This is my first season with more then 1 preggo doe, and didn't want to give injections so this seemed like the next closest:) Thanks:)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I have heard before kidding too. I guess it's better for the kids that way?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Yes, a cc and an ml is the same thing. The tube measures it in ml though, and I always measure out a shot as __cc's. They're both the same thing, so I guess I could have just said it one way or the other, lol, sorry.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oh and the before breeding is so the doe and the kids have enough throughout the pregnancy, and the 2 weeks before kidding is to replenish what the kids drained from the does system and to give the kids a boost of it again.

·
Registered
905 Posts
We have a rented buck right now for breeding with our does. One doe was in heat and they did their thing several times. The other doe has not come into heat yet. Should I give either one of them a dose now, or wait until right before they kid? They've never had it before.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If my does were just bred about a week ago, and they didn't receive any selenium before breeding, should I still give them some? or just wait until later on in the pregnancy?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right now would be best :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts