The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of research on different vitamins and minerals and I am looking for opinions and other methods on pregnancy methods others use.
Copper and Selenium- I have come to the conclusion between online research and other breeders to give copper (4 grams) and selenium (1cc per 40lbs) before breeding and again in the 3-4 months of pregnancy as I am in a very selenium deficient and goats need a lot of copper and they both work hand in hand. These two nutrients are critical in kids I have found personally. Kids not administered selenium for a month due to back order were stunted compared to kids administered it days after birth. Does showing copper deficiency as well produced kids that have turned out smaller.
Iodine- One of my does gave birth to a still born female and a healthy male. Iodine deficiency can result in dead females but live males due to the greater need of it by females in their thyroid gland. It could be coincidental but perhaps not. Toxicity is easy to achieve and one method to administer it is by rubbing 7% on the tailweb of a goat. I plan to rub betadine(10% idodine) once a week as to not overdose but to cover any deficiencies.
Zinc- I have multiple bucks showing severe deficiency currently. I also have had does this summer show signs of deficiency and I added it once a day for a week and then weekly for a bit and the effects disappeared. My feed does not cantain any and I am wondering if once a week is sufficient during pregnancy which is the plan I am following for the fear of stunted male kids.
Vitamin A- I plan to add vitamin A (2400mcg/8000iu) once a week during the last weeks of pregnancy just to boost the levels of it in colostrum because kids have small reserves of it and obtain it through colostrum.
Vitamin D- I have also read it is wise to add vitamin D the last few weeks of pregnancy to prevent milk fever because it is essential to the balance between calcium and phosphorus. My question for this one is how often if I plan to use capsules which are 10,000iu. Because it is not a common deficiency I was thinking once a week would be sufficient.
Vitamin E- I also plan to give vitamin E (180mg/400iu) once weekly during gestation and then once daily for the last 3 weeks of pregnancy from suggestion of Fias Co Farm and its co-partnership with selenium and benefits to skin, development of the fetus, and kids lack of reserve of it.

Please leave your thoughts/methods/minerals/vitamins/sources of them you use with your pregnant does

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
You can get zinpro for a zinc supplement. Don't put the liquid iodine on the tail. It isn't a good iodine for that. You'd be better off putting out a cobalt block and kelp. You seriously need a Cobalt block. You may want to consider getting Replamin Plus. It is a vitamin and mineral gel given weekly with a 5 day loader dose to start.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
This is a lot of separate supplementation apart from your regular loose mineral. Look into changing your loose mineral to take care of some of this. Loose mineral mixes vary immensely one from another.

There is no "best" mineral mix, but there is almost always a "better for my needs in my location" option.

Here is the tag for my favorite mineral mix. It is free choice. It has 125,000 IU/lb Vitamin D-3. I know because I wrote and asked.

https://www.ourcoop.com/productcatalog/Main/PdfViewer.aspx?el=58310

Here is another good one. Click on Onyx. Note the different levels, reflecting the different needs of different locales.

http://www.orangegrovecoop.com/images/E0209301/Minerals.pdf

This one is great for cobalt and iodine (and other minerals) Click on nutrient guarantees

http://www.sweetlix.com/products/C14A34/goats.aspx?load=123

I've recently started this supplement. I added it to the second mineral mix above (the Onyx)

https://www.amazon.com/TruCare-Top-dress-Trace-Mineral-Livestock/dp/B01K5U7UW0

I also provide a mxture of kelp and ground flaxseed free choice.

These are all good minerals that you may or may not be able to buy. Just for your comparison as you shop around.

Replamin Plus is supposed to be excellent. I don't use it because I need to be able to put supplements out in buckets for them to deal with rather than me giving individual supplementation to individual goats.

But really my original point was that your mineral mix should be able to handle most of your planned supplementation. If you need to supplement all of that separately, I'd shop for a better mineral mix.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like to keep things very simple. I give oral selenium about 4 times a year, a copper bolus 1-2 times a year, and a free choice mineral high in selenium. It's worked great for my goats so far, so I don't see a reason to make it more complicated. ;-)

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@Davon

What mineral mix do you use that is so high in selenium?

I'm interested, because what I hear you saying is that your mineral is sufficient for everything your area needs except for providing some extra copper and selenium. is that correct? Because that is great.

I have very close friends in NC. I don't know where you are in the State, but I'd love to know what you use so I can tell them about it, in case it would meet their needs and be available to them.

·
Registered
788 Posts
After years and years of practice, I have found my niche with good loose minerals, copper bolus 4 times a year, worming only as needed...
I make special treats for pregnant does made of vit e, d, and tums for Calcium and feed daily last 3-4 weeks of pregnancy, they also get grain from breeding time to kidding.
Newborn Kids get selenium, and 3, 6 and 9 week cocci prevention treatment with Corid.
CDT shots at 9 weeks with booster in 3 weeks.

Hope that helps! It’s really easy to over complicate things, but you should do what you feel works for your herd.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I have not offered a loose mineral... ever. Hence why most of my goats are deficient most likely. When I first started with goats I was told it was unnecessary to add it but I'm starting to see that that was not good advice.
I agree, that was not good advice. Welcome, and if we can help with this, let us know. You'll want a loose mineral, not a salt block, or trace mineral block. You will see a big difference in your goats.

Reactions: Kath G.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am going to second what a most everybody has said and emphasize the importance of finding a good loose mineral ASAP and start putting it out for your goats. The ones mariarose provided are good ones to look for. If you don't find one you like in the goat minerals, check out the cattle minerals as well.

If they are already deficient, getting them caught up would be good. Just be careful because mineral toxicity is possible and often harder to fix than a deficiency.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yes, cattle minerals may well be a good answer. Onyx is for cattle. I think that @PippasCubby is using a good cattle mineral, Payback's PNW Ultramin 12-6 Se? I can't find a link, but I'll keep looking. @Jessica84 really like a cattle mineral, this one. https://www.lumber2.com/Wind-Rain-All-Season-Cattle-Mineral-12-Complete-p/pm0057221.htm

Since you are deficient, then I think the Replamin Gel Plus idea @ksalvagno mentioned would be topnotch for you. Not instead of the loose minerals, but with them. Here is a link.

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/details/Replamin-Gel-and-Replamin-Gel-Plus/498-200.html

@goathiker and @Suzanne_Tyler will strongly suggest a cobalt block as well, if you can find some. Here is a link for one of those. All the others are blue, not this one.

http://www.redmondagriculture.com/products/cobalt-iodized-mineral-salt-block/

In my personal opinion, priority 1 is a good loose mineral, priority 2 is alfalfa hay or pellets for calcium, and priority 3 would be the Replamin Plus.

Hooray! Kids are coming!

Reactions: PippasCubby

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, cattle minerals may well be a good answer. Onyx is for cattle. I think that @PippasCubby is using a good cattle mineral, Payback's PNW Ultramin 12-6 Se? I can't find a link, but I'll keep looking. @Jessica84 really like a cattle mineral, this one. https://www.lumber2.com/Wind-Rain-All-Season-Cattle-Mineral-12-Complete-p/pm0057221.htm
Yup, I do use a cattle mineral. I think it is area specific so Payback doesn't have it on their website. Here is a picture of it though (I also provide a 90ppm Se salt block that my goat seem to like too). The Wind and Rain mineral is what I was using before, and was fairly happy with it as well.

Nice work @mariarose getting all that info. I think I would follow those same steps. :)
IMG_2098.JPG

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You will probably have to play around a little with the minerals and what is needed on top of it. I'm 8 years in and still playing! I would start with finding a good loose mineral you can get your hands on and kinda play with what is needed. Sadly we are kinda in a buisness that is trial and error :\ some people can get away with just mineral most have to add to it.
Other then the loose minerals this is what I do, starting this year I added free choice selenium salt, I got it loose but it also comes in a block like the cobslt\iodized mariaroase have a link to. I copper bolus 3-4X a year, give a Bose shot to does a month before kidding as well as new born kids. I also give 1\2cc of vitamin AandD because I had issues with kids and scouts years ago. If you are having issue with zinc then I would look into that zinpro mentioned. I would more address what you see they need then what might go wrong if you they are deficient because toxicity is a very real thing. So far the main 3 things that seem to be the most needed thing from what I have seen\heard with gosts is selenium, copper and zinc. During my AI class the instructor really stressed the importance of these on a goats health

·
Registered
138 Posts
We use a good goat-specific loose mineral and a goat-specific protein block year round. This should supply most if not all of the Calcium and other minerals and vitamins a goat regardless of gender or reproductive status would need to be healthy.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
We use a good goat-specific loose mineral and a goat-specific protein block year round.
Would you share what brand and formulation you use? Some goat specific stuff I've found has been high priced and not top quality for what you pay for. I'd love to know what you use/like

·
Registered
8,834 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use the Ragland© brand of protein block found at Tractor Supply Co. As far as the mineral, I use the Purina® brand of goat mineral or the Tractor Supply brand. There may be better brands of either out there but I've used these brands for years and always had great results.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Thanks, @Calfee Farms I'll look them up. Do you have any antagonists on your farm that you know of?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Our water is a little high in iron which affects copper absorption I'm told. So with the mineral having a good balance of copper and the protein block having some, I dose all our goats every 6 months with Copasure® copper wire capsule supplement.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts