Vitamin B and Ivermectin question?????

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Sep 6, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....Liz says I should give Jake and Elwood a course of Vitamin B after they finish the Corid.....I did read on another site were the Corid does deplete Vit. B.......While my DH was at the store today he looked for Vitamin B and called me saying there are so many different ones.....so help!!!!! Which should I get? Also for how long and how much do they need? Sorry for all the questions.....I just want to do right by these little guys. I have never given a shot in my life and wouldn't know how so I would prefer to do the crushing of the pills and add to water. Also, I do have some Ivermectin horse paste....is that what I need to give them in 10 days and how much of that for a fifteen pounder??????????
    Thanks again & again!!!! Denise from Indiana

It is Sunday morning and the goats seem a little sluggish to me.....they are eating and drinking....just off to me....maybe it's my imagination? I'm wondering if I should go get some B complex and start them now? Does Tractor Supply sell one that is oral? Or should I just give them Human? How much should I give them and is there anything else I should do?
    Thanks!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: Help Please! Vitamin B and Ivermectin question?????

Calm down...the boys are fine though as you said if they seem off it's the meds more than likely causing it. I too prefer to give the tablets a opposed to injection that why I got the B-Complex people vitamins and would crush one tablet and mix it with 2cc of water to disolve it, then suck it up in the syringe and give it orally....it is a bright orange yellow color and very sour so don't worry if they spit and sputter as long as you got some into them.
    The reason why you should wait til a day or so after the cocci treatment with meds is because cocci thrive on B vitamins so the goat to be a bit depleted is best to rid them of the organism....a day or so with a diminished supply won't be bad but longer period of time can cause goat polio.....which I'd say your boys are ok . If you have mollasses and oatmeal try cooking a bit of that and flavor it with the mollasses....it will help with any anemia caused by the worms and cocci as well as pick up their appetites.

The ivermectin horse paste is dosed at 3x the horse dose....that would put your boys at 45# . The 250# dose in a syringe is only 1 1/2 cc. I have given kids at 6 weeks old 1cc of ivercare paste with no problems, it is better to have more medicine than not enough. You can't overdose so I would say that 1cc for each f them will do just fine. Mind you, I have tried o do "the math" on doses and to get 1/5 of 1 1/2 cc is an almost impossible thing to do with a syringe...turns out to be like half of a half cc....you can ask your vet to be sure but most vets will want you to use a species specific wormer and that can cost $$ ....the ivermectin is used in all livestock as well as dogs for heartworm.

I had the "luxory" of my vet giving me ivomect liquid for horses and the dose for a kid weighing 12# was a half cc, the paste has more "additives" in it to make it a paste form so I use the 1cc for kids and have felt safe doing so.

RELAX!!!! Your boys are probably more stressed and sluggish to you because of the situation and the fact that you are making them take the yucky medicine....give them treats they like and make sure they are drinking water...try gatorade or even the dollar store brand of power aid...all of mine like the fruit punch flavor, this will help keep their fluids in balance with the meds.

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

AHHHH...... Thank you Liz so very much.....you have put me at ease and made me feel much better.....I feel like such a dumbie getting these little guys when I really know nothing about caring for them....but now that I have them I intend on doing right by them! Oops....one more thing....for how long do I give them the B complex?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Yes the medicine could be bothering them. One of my girls acted off until I stopped giving sulmet, but she needed it so I couldn't stop. Once she was off the sulmet she acted fine and got back to her normal self. Just keep and eye on them but don't worry too much. I know it's easy to do!

5. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest

Why not just use injectable B complex from the farm store, which its a lot cheaper than the human B complex, and give that orally?
    Thats what I do. I only inject it if the goat need a faster pick me up.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Actually, I got the B-Complex vitamin tab at the dollar store for like $3.....and the TSC I frequent was 20 miles in the opposite directon so this was easily accessible to me when I needed it. :wink: It was simple enough to crush the tablet and disolve it in a small amount of water then give it to my little one.

You can give it to them for 3-4 days....once a day, it will help stimulate their appetite too :greengrin:

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Liz....thanks again! and again, again and again!
    Denise from Indiana

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Denise....you are very welcome! Don't ever hesitate to find answers when it comes to your kids, most of the time when something is really wrong and you sense this right away finding a solution asap is the best way to go, if your vet is a knowledgable goat vet and is willing to answer your questions over the phone, don't hesitate to call him first, we all have dealt with minor issues with our goats and it's usually experience that lets us help others. I've not used the Corid before but have used Albon...from my vet, Sacey and others here have used the Corid with great success :greengrin:

Hope your boys are back to being themselves soon, and I'm sure they will be, as RunAround said...they can act "funny" while being treated but it is best to finish the course as it is better for their over all health and they have the best chance of reovering fully, and are back to normal soon after. :)