The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know what my goat might be needing vitamin wise? I already know now that my water has too much iron in it and my one does needs copper...but she does a wierd head turning thing looking up at the sky and then brings it back front and center... the breeder told me she might be vitamin deficient in D?? But I can't remember now.

How do I know? and what do I give her?

·
Registered
279 Posts
How do I know what my goat might be needing vitamin wise? I already know now that my water has too much iron in it and my one does needs copper...but she does a wierd head turning thing looking up at the sky and then brings it back front and center... the breeder told me she might be vitamin deficient in D?? But I can't remember now.

How do I know? and what do I give her?
Do you have loose goat mineral available to her? That would be a start. As for turning head looking up and around, many goats do that. They can see in wide angle and in doing that, they can see 360 without turning the body. It is just a goat thing...not necessary vitamins deficiency.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Thrifty rough course hair, fishtail at the tip of the tail and discolored hair is copper deficiency. Too much iron can rob them of copper.

Selenium: they can have crooked or week legs. Kids are born weak, Momma's don't drop their afterbirth.

As mentioned, loose salts and minerals out free choice with copper and selenium in it is essential. Do not get the block.

The head turning thing, is just something they do. They are silly ;)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I had 1 doe that looovvveed to do the head thing. I also freaked about it as first but found that its not that uncommon even though I have yet to have another of mine do that but have found past threads on here about other goats doing it.
Now I can't pin point witch vit. It was but looked up both a and d since the shots come in 1 but I believe a sign of needing the d is when they especially kids have creaky joints when they walk and like every other mineral and vit unthrifty lol. A again I believe is needed when kids are born and have a hard time fighting off things that cause scours...again I believe. I started to give my does 1cc of the hit a and d a month before they were due to help the kids with scours. I think on my search for info on it months ago it said many people give the shots during the winter when the days are shorter and cloudy but I really wouldn't worry about the head thing being a sign of needing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts