The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nigerian dwarf that has skin problems. Vet checked and not mites ,lice or parasites.
Vet had him on an antibiotic shot and steroid pills for 2 weeks and he cleared up. Now it seems he may be getting it back. He is the only one that has it.
Someone suggested giving him some viatimin E capsules as a supplement.
Any else give their goats vitamin e capsule and if so how much is safe to give them?
We picked some up they are 184 mg softgel liquid capsules.

·
8,371 Posts
I give them Vit. E gel caps with the Bo-Se shot when kids are born. With the kids, I cut the tip on the gel
cap and squirt it into their mouths. You could do that, or use a bolus gun like for a copper bolus and pop
it down their throats. You can also buy injectable Vitamin A-D-E or just plain Vit. E to inject.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
Honesty I keep a really wide approach regimen for these situations and it works wonderfully.

First thing is internal health - get some garlic into this goat! I recommend 3 cloves raw garlic daily, and also 1000mg vitamin c via human chewables. If the issue is fungal or stemming more from the inside and immune system, this will have you covered.

Then I recommend zinc. For Nigerians, I recommend half a 50mg human zinc pill once a week for 3-4 weeks then twice a week for a little while after. However, depending on what I see in pictures, sometimes TruCare4 daily can make a much bigger impact. Human zinc pills are iffy and you must be careful not to overdo them as I often find it produces the opposite desired effect. It also should be only zinc gluconate or zinc amino acid complex pills. Hearing the severity of your situation, I would personally go with TruCare4.

Next is vitamins A and D which often cause these symptoms even more than zinc does. I recommend using cod liver oil for this, works wonderfully. 0.1cc per 2.2lbs twice daily for three days then twice a week for two weeks.

Next is Vitamin E. Go for natural forms as they absorb better. Wheat germ oil just under a tsp daily for as long as needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. We started him on 50mg zinc vitamin every other day. No change yet but he has only had it twice so far. Fingers crossed.
I would try zinc first, if the problem is dander and flaky coat and nose.
Can you give a goat benadryl pills to help stop the itching and scraching until this clears ups? If so how much? His about 4 months old about 35 lbs or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts