Vitamins and minerals

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Boers4ever, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hello! I have a herd of Boer does and a buck. They all look kind of skinny and bony. Especially around their hip and tail bones. Some of the does just kidded about 5 weeks ago. I figured that it’s a mineral or vitamin deficiency of some sort. They are on pasture and meat goat feed, with hay and alfalfa. I’ve heard that some minerals have to be given with vitamin E. Is this true? I’m new to goats so any help with what kinds of minerals and vitamins to give would be greatly appreciated!!

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    How are their FAMACHA scores?

I would fecal test them.

Mineral deficiencies are not usually only weight loss.

Post some photos so we can identify deficiencies.

You should have a good loose mineral, that’s all they need for starters. Sweetlix Meat Maker is really good, Purina Goat Mineral is ok, mannapro Goat Mineral is okay, Purina Wind and rain Cattle Mineral is ok.

Selenium needs to be given with vitamin e - but oral selenium supplements already have it in them! :)

Goataddict likes this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Bo-se has Selenium and vit E in it already, to help absorb the selenium quicker.

A good loose mineral, will have all the good stuff in it and you do not have to add any.

However, if I have a doe who is not dropping her afterbirth, I know she is deficient and I will give my big doe 2 cc's Bo-se shot and 2 vit E gel tabs, snip the top and squirt it in their mouth.

Boers4ever likes this.
  4. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Thank you! I picked up some loose minerals today.

toth boer goats likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Which ones?

6. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    I got the Mannapro goat mineral because it was the only one the feed store had. My local farm stores hardly have anything for goats apparently, I had to order their vaccines. I am also deworming them and trimming hooves this Saturday.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If you’re worried about selenium, Manna Pro is just about the worse mineral their is for selenium!

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    You may want the salt I recommended, or one of the minerals I recommended.

Please don’t deworm them this Saturday, preventive deworming is not safe or useful - you need to do a fecal test first.

lottsagoats1 and toth boer goats like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Thank you for your advise! I will get fecal test done and see if I can order some better minerals.

Also, I ordered some CDT vaccines that will be here in 2 weeks. I’ve had them since November but I don’t know when their former owners vaccinated them last. Is it safe to go ahead and give them the vaccines, or should I wait?
    The kids will be 7 weeks old when the vaccines come in. How much do I give them? I read to give everybody 2cc. Is this correct?

11. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I give newcomers ( when I bring in any) 2ml regardless of size then wait 4 weeks and give a second dose of 2ml. Then around one year near that date every year just give one 2ml dose. Do this every year from there on.

12. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Where can I get the best deal on Sweetlix meat maker? I looked on Jeffers pets website and it was $46 for an 18# bucket. Isn’t that a little expensive or is that the normal price? I’ve looked everywhere and no one has any near me. So I’ll have to get it online.

13. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Talk to your feed store and have them order it for you. If they carry swertlix products they can get the minerals.
    If you are not absolutely dead set on sweetlix though see if you can get Purina wind and rain. It’s a cattle mineral but it’s a good mineral. I myself actually like it better then the sweetlix. When I tried it I ended up with a bunch of kids with zinc deficiency, first time I EVER had it, so went back to the wind and rain.
    I agree to get a fecal done. But I also agree with posting a picture of them. See if anyone can pin point any specific mineral deficiency they might have. A lot of times when they are deficient just adding minerals won’t get them over it, they need help getting over that hump if you will. So it’s it’s say copper they need then you can go ahead and give them a copper bolus to get them where they should be.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Zinc deficiency could happen with Sweetlix because there is a lot of copper in it, and sometimes copper can antagonize zinc. But it’s not too hard to supplement zinc, a bit of Zinpro 40 or simply offering a sheep mineral side by side is well worth it!!

IMHO, Purina Wind and rain Cattle Mineral is a terrible mineral. It only has 1200 PPM copper, only 3600 PPM zinc. But the worst part, the only form of zinc in it is zinc sulfate. I want to see at least 2 different forms of zinc, zinc chloride, zinc amino acid complex, zinc methionine, etc. etc. would all help absorption. Purina Wind and rain also has 1 form of copper, copper chloride. I want to see at the absolute bare minimum, copper sulfate - but I like chelates for absorption, amino acid complexes... and more. There’s barely any minerals in Wind and rain. Only 27 ppm selenium which just barely makes the cusp.

Lots of copper and selenium problems when using this mineral. I like Manna Pro a whole lot better than this, and I really do like Sweetlix, most of the time the goats need the extra copper more than zinc, so there’s a good balance. I’m sorry it didn’t work well for you.

happybleats likes this.
  15. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    IMG_4180.jpg IMG_4181.jpg IMG_4182.jpg

Here’s some pics of a few of my goats.
    The first is almost five. Her name is Marianne. She kidded seven weeks ago today. She had twins.
    The second is two and a half. Her name is Dottie. She kidded seven weeks ago yesterday. Her first kidding and she had a single girl.
    The third is almost four. She is the mama to Dottie. Her name is Megan. She is not bred nor has she kidded this year.
    The buck has gotten way better since I started giving him Mannapro minerals. I know that it’s not the best out there so I’m trying to find a really good one. They are on pasture with alfalfa, free choice hay, and meat goat grain. They have gotten kinda potbellied and boney over the last couple months.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would definitely run fecal tests. Seeing a few fishtails so copper bolus may be in order as well!

17. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Just realized the babies in the back ground were attacking my empty bucket. Oops! They get fed the same grain as their parents in the mornings.

18. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Anyone have any experience with Kent minerals?

Very few mineral choices here, so I bounce between Sweetlix (when I can get it, it's not a given) and Purina Cattle Minerals (not the wind and rain, they didn't carry it). I can get all sorts of sheep minerals, but that's no help. I've used horse minerals when I couldn't get anything else, those worked well for my herd, but are wicked expensive. I might be able to convince my Blue Seal dealer to order me some Kent minerals, if they are worth it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I am not a fan of kent, too low in copper and not the best form of it or zinc!!

Kalmbach Feeds has a good one.

20. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Thank you. I’ll see if I can send some fecals to meadow mist labs. I’ll look for copper bolus too.