vitamins ect.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by goatshows, Feb 3, 2009.

1. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    Do you give your goats vitamins at all? If you do what brand, and how much? Have you ever noticed great benifits from giving goats vitamins(like human vitamins) during cetin points of there life(Elders, kids, Preggo's ect.

I have heard of people give them things like this over the counter vitimins, zinc, ect. I have never persdonally and am wondering if it would be a good idea too.

What do you think or your experiances??

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We give our guys SweetLix- They LOVE it. Not sure about giving just over the counter vitamins. Though in a pinch I have used the vit/e and sel tabs before without any problems.

3. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have used vitamin c and echinacea before but only when they had colds and we've used selinium powder with vitamin e in it from Hoegger's before too.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We offer the SweetLix minerals free-choice. I kinda figured that should be good enough. We do use herbal formulas for coughing, light colds, etc. I am making my own version of Molly's Immune Booster. Doing a lot of research trying to make it work the way we'd like it to. :)

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I feed free choice goat minerals. The other vitamins I use for treating goats on an individual basis. I give B complex shots to goats off feed or being treated for other conditions such as milk fever or pneumonia along with their other meds. Vitamin E is good to give along with BoSe. We also sometimes give A&D along with the BoSe to newborns.

6. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    oh yeah we use goat feed minerials either sweetlix or purina brand i think. they act like its candy. i forgot that compines add vitamins in with the minerals.

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We also use clovite sometimes, it's a supplement with lots of vitamins in it, it's for all kinds of animals.

8. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Our goats have access to loose minerals and sometimes have a mineral block. We also give copper when needed to.

9. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
    We give our girls an occasional ade&b12 paste. They love the taste. We had a problem with a selenium deficiency last fall due to the draught and couldn't find good quality hay. We almost lost a doe but with a combination of the selenium and e (2 times) and ade&b12, and finally found some straight alfalfa in small amounts she pulled through. Our does like the mineral blocks, but won't hardly touch the free range minerals. A couple of weeks before kidding we give a vitamin E gel each day with a handful of grain. Hope that helps.

http://www.singinghilssgoats.net

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sweet Lix for me. Plus I have a doe that is Zinc def. so I have to give her a paste that is blue and full of Zinc, Calcium, Vit B and all other kinks of things.

11. sauncy

sauncy New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    KY
  12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Olivia, I have to tell you, I used the herbal wormer for cocci you posted in the homeopathic section, for one of my show rabbits who was on her death bed from cocci, this was when the Jeffers site was down, anyway, she pulled through and is doing great! So thank you SO much for that recipe.

As for vitamins, we occasionally use something similar to what Amy uses, but I can't think of the name, and we often give probios, and again, cannot think of the names :doh:

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, that's great!! You are very much welcome! :D I'm glad to hear it worked for someone.

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I always have Vit B on hand when does go off feed they get a shot of that. Selenium is always on hand as well. They get free choice purina goat mineral. I keep copper around and if i see a fish tail they get a pinch of that. CMPK and calcium are things i keep around in case of milk fever. I also havea bottle of Vit C tablets in the barn....when does have mastitis or right after kidding they get some. As well as when they have a cold. they eat the chewable orange flavored ones like candy.
    beth