Vulva Check aka 'Pooch Test'

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sonrise Farm, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Okay in a recent topic this lady showed a pix of her doe's vulva and asked if it looks as though this doe is pregnant. Could someone explain how you do a vulva check/ how it works/ what your suppose to see? :scratch:

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    It's very hard to explain but here goes- It is usually pinkish and swollen more so than an unbred doe. The unbred does vulva will be "dry" looking, narrow and dark-whereas the bred does will have a plumper look to it-and slightly open looking-that is if they are a little ways into pregnancy.Can Anyone else explain this better???

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Also, typically the rectum will look a little sunken also

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Im no expert, but Heathersboers you gave a good explanation!
    On mine if I see that tell tail semen stain Im pretty sure they have been bred.
    Right now I have two out there Im not sure are bred yet..one FF vulva is a little swollen & pink...the other is still locked up tighter than a drum thats the only way I can think of describing hers.
    These two did not conceive last year. I think they were overconditoned.
    A buck is here now...I have seen evidence on almost all..he is still trying to woo Balango & she is not cooperating. :angry:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    On an unbred (open) doe her anus will be tucked under her tail, on a doe that is bred it wont be tucked up there. And what the others said

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    haha - sorry wrote it backwards!