Waddles

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lexibot, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    What breeds have waddles? One of my bottle kids has them... just want to know what she could be... personally, I can't say whether I like them or not... It makes me feel funny looking at them though...

Quite honestly.. I thought she had cancer or something... but I seen other goats with the "skin" below their necks.. so I just thought she was weird..

Anyway, her name is Brownie.

[​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I am not sure...I think most breeds have them...never seen them on a nubian or boer though? I couldn't tell you for sure though.

I'm not a fan of waddles. I have a really nice buck with them and he throws them now and then...I rather not have goats with them, but I guess I don't really mind having them.

Do you have a pic of your kids?

3. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Yeah... quite a few are posted here:

http://www.homestead-hearth.com/forum/v ... 4099#p4099

They were only 2-8 days old in them picks, they are a bit older now, but I don't have any recent pics, I should work on that soon! :)

As you can tell, I have quite a few boers :D Anyway, they came from many breeds. Spanish, Boer, Kiko, and god knows what. We got them cheap though, and the parents looked REALLY good, so these kids are growing fast and are very healthy, we'll keep all the females (4), and one of the males... I have 2 picked out, just need to choose between one or the other, it's so hard :D

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

OMG WATTTTTTLES!!!!!

THEY ARE MY MOST FAVORITE THING!!! I think they can be found on almost any breed. Never seen them on Nubians BUT I heard they can be on them

5. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, so they come from genetics? Brownie should throw a waddled kid here and there?

6. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya, normally if the goat has them, they will get passed.

My friend has a nigi doe with wattles, shes always thrown them!

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Alright, cool thanks :) I plan on selling her after her FF if I don't have more land, might be a nice selling point if people like them :)

8. TinyHoovesRanch

Some people do....LIKE ME!!!! lol

Some people dont but ya make sure to mention it!

9. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    Of course, lol. I am normally pretty informative, I'll have other does for sale at the time too. Hopefully, though I wont need to sell them. I just need more land is all. :)

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think there is a 50/50 chance to throw them when bred to a doe/buck without them. I have a buck with them that throws them about 50% of the time.

11. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    We have one doe with wattles. She just happens to be the herd queen so we call them her queenly jewelry.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have a nigi/pygmy doe with wattles...her very first kid was born last February with them too.

13. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I think they are kinda cute.. but ugly at the same time... weird :D

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Nubians, boers and angoras shouldn't have them, though if they have been bred up from the other breeds they can throwback sometimes and technically shouldn't be registered with them. However, if they shouldn't have them, or you don't like them, or they are uneven or misplaced (someone posted a picture here once of a goat with waddles on the tips of her ears) you can snip them off with sharp clean scissors when they are first born, they hardly even bleed. Personally i'm not a huge fan, i'll leave them if they are even but if they are uneven or misplaced i'll remove them for a better showring appearance

15. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I just noticed Monkey (the littlest one) has only one waddle, lol.

I am not doing goats for show, nor raising them for it, so I am good. :)

16. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I think the kid with the single wattle would drive me nuts lol. I have a lone alpine doeling with wattles, They make her her if you know what I mean. She didnt have any problems with other kids trying to suck them.