The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go on a trip when I get my goats and I am wanting a wagon for my goats to pull. I was thinking it would be about 6x5ft wide. I dont want a super heavy one, I only want to have 4 goats to pull it. any ideas???
I'm thinking a double of this harness set up would be good...?
http://www.napga.org/album_frame.asp?menuID=14

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I'm sure four goats would work together pulling a larger cart or trailer. I once saw an old picture of multiple teams of Cashmere goats pulling a sled in the gold rush days of the Klondike. I tried to find a copy to post here but couldn't find it on the net anywhere.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Alright.....LOL! I know what you're thinking. If we can't get them to string together on the trail how in the heck would we ever get them to pull together? I swear I saw a photograph of several harnessed together and they seemed to be working fine.

Hopefully they can be confined to a small area with the harness so they don't cause any major tangles. Wrecks are another issue all together. Hope the cart has airbags. :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
That photo was taken in Alaska. There was a time during the gold rush that if it could pull/carry anything it did.
I found a wagon at TS that would fit this bill nicely. It is just right for 4 goats and you could easily sleep on it. It would need walls and a top but easier then making something.
I have decided I want to train my boys to this when every one is older. If just once or twice a year for show. They will be a 6 or 8 in hand. I can already hook two of the together and walk behind them down a road. I can see it will take a lot of work to get there before I try.

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just wanted to let you know, we drive 4 goats all the time. We have a wagon with three shafts. The wheel team has the shafts , the leader team works off of a double tree on the two outer shafts. It is a good system, which is easy to drive and comfortable for the goats. We drive our goats on a daliy basis, they do a lot of work on our farm. Also driving goats is just plain fun!
Recently over the holidays , our 4wd atv mule broke a wheel bearing, so the goats had to do all the hauling for over a month. They did awesome! Our farm is 15 acres of up and down hill, so hauling feed and hay is not an easy job, but the goats did great. Also goats do not have
wheel bearings that break.
Happy driving!
Bambi
www.draftgoats.com

·
Registered
847 Posts
Please do. All I can imagine is a shaft on each side of the goat, and the third right up the middle... but I don't think the goat would appreciate being poked by it :lol:

·
Banned
849 Posts
Um, Bob, with a four-in-hand hitch, you would have the middle shaft running between the two wheel goats and the outside shafts running outside them. The front goats wouldn't have shafts, of course.

Bambi, I'm curious why you use three shafts and not just a team pole. Wouldn't the shafts make the whole thing a bit unwieldy and give your goats less "wiggle room" if their partner decided to get a little out of line? I've driven horse teams, and we never used shafts for pairs, only for single driving. I would consider it dangerous for animals as large as horses to be paired inside shafts, but goats are a different matter, of course. I'd love to hear your reasons, especially since I plan to drive teams of goats one day.

Actually, what I think would be marvelous would be goat chariot races like they had in Greece and Rome, with four prancing goats hitched abreast. From what I hear, these were just like the horse chariot races but for women and children to compete. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
To reply to questions of three shaft. There is a shaft on each side of each goat and a shared shaft in the middle. We use this system instead of
a pole and collars because we have found it to work better. We tried collars when first driving, but found them uncomfortable for the goats. It is our opinion that goats are not designed to carry weight in their necks. They produce their pulling power by pushing their weight with their chest.
We have used three shafts for many years and find it very comfortable for the goats and easy to drive. There is a picture of one of our carts on the website.
Happy driving!
Bambi
draftgoats.com

P.S. The picture of the man driving twelve goats is awesome.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello,

I looked at your picture of the three shaft cart. Do you use the three shaft method on two-wheeled carts only or also on 4-wheeled carts?

·
Banned
849 Posts
Bambi, how come you don't use a team pole with breastcollar harnesses? Combined driving competitors use breastcollars, not neck collars, and they drive in teams of 2-4 horses. When I have more goats, I'm planning to drive them in teams but with breastcollar harnesses and only one pole since I hate shafts even with one goat... they're a nuisance to hook up, in my opinion. It was easier to hitch my team of horses when I did carriage tours than it is to hitch up my one goat to his cart!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Just make sure that you check before you go to see if wheeled vehicles are allowed. THey are not allowed in wilderness areas and many other places. SOunds like fun though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We use the three shafts on two-wheeled and four-wheeled and a small gang disc. I have a set of three shafts that is moveable to different vehicles and different implements. They are easy to attach with two bolts.

I'm not sure what a breast collar harness is? I drove horses before the goats, and have never heard of a breast collar harness. Could you explain?

Thanks, Bambi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well,
I'm still on the learning end of driving goats, but I've broke and drove horses for years. A breast collar harness-- if he means what I think, we would of called it a breast strap. It is the style of pulling harness that you are using were the animal pull by a strap across their breast. I not sure that this info would really matter, because goats are much smaller than horses, however, even with a normal two shaft pulling set up you lose some ability to make tight turns. The shafts do not bend and will push against the animals shoulder if they make too tight of a turn.

Goats are not mini horses and it does not work well to use horse collars on them. I've just bought my first harness from Adam at http://dwharnessshop.tripod.com/index.html. He has a really good product. He has developed a soft collar that fits a goat very well. When I showed my dad pics of my goat in the harness his comment was..."I don't know about goats pulling, but if it does work out it sure will not be the harness's fault." He thought the harness fit the goat great. He is a horseman and doesn't understand me downsizing to goats. lol But he does know what he is talking about when it comes to harness and fit. Several years ago I tried to get an Amish man to make me a harness for my goat.. all I got was a mini horse harness.. It sure didn't work well. I've been thinking about making my own harness for years but never got around to it. I seen Adam's harness on some goats in a pic. I knew that I was looking at a great product. Found out a way to contact him and now I'm the proud owner of one harness. I've already order the second one. Hope to have my two wethers pullin as a team by mid summer. They are already pulling kids and sleds of wood for me. I just love to drive a team. I can't drive a team of horses any more, but hopefully a team of goats will be just as fun.

Liza
Loren & Liza Stallsmith
Circle S Leather - http://Braintanner.com

·
Registered
764 Posts
Bambi said:
We use the three shafts on two-wheeled and four-wheeled and a small gang disc.
OK, but I still keep wondering about your saying that goats shouldn't carry weight with their neck....

I agree that they shouldn't carry with their neck but I've learned that in driving, NO weight is supposed to rest on either shaft or pole but that the waggon resp. cart and the load has to be balanced and the animal only carries the weight of the pole (and that is small enough that it shouldn't hinder even when using a collar).

I understand the problem of hitching two goats to a two-wheeled cart and them balancing the cart and load - I think about solving that for some time now - and found the following solution from "old England": a curricle

http://www.galerieneffegravure.com/carrick_curricle.htm

http://www.humanist.de/rome/rts/dorsal.html

or one would hitch the goats not abreast but as tandem, the wheel goat in shafts and the lead goat with singletree.

·
Banned
849 Posts
Yeah, sorry Bambi. Breastcollar is the same as breast strap for me. I've noticed that there are several pieces of harness that are called different things depending on which part of the country you're from. Shafts/shaves; singletree/whiffletree; crupper/crouper; breeching/britchin; blinkers/winkers/blinders... just to name a few. :)

And, like Sanhestar, I'm also wondering about the weight on the neck concern. The pole (and yoke, if you used one instead of a strap or chain) should not be terribly heavy, and a collar should fit down toward the shoulders so that the draft weight is not being pulled from the neck.

Sanhestar, I couldn't read your first link... I don't read French, but your link about the Roman yoke system was interesting.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Nanno said:
Sanhestar, I couldn't read your first link... I don't read French, but your link about the Roman yoke system was interesting.
I don't speak French either (don't tell anybody ;) ) but the pictures are interesting. They showed me another way to connect the curricle "yoke" with a pole.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts